Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
A guy I fish with in the VA Beach Anglers Club told me of a puppy he tagged at Sand Bridge that was caught in Buxton the VERY next day!! Amazing!! I'm not sure how far that is, but I bet its close to 100 miles. That fish would have had to average 4 miles / hour to make the trip. He must've had a strong tail current.

·
Registered
23 Posts
What I find most interesting is the puppy drum that are moving freely between VA and NC waters. I recently have read some studies that indicated red drum migrate in a predominately east / west pattern. Meaning that they winter over a couple of miles off-shore around the near-shore wrecks in about 50 - 75 feet of water and they move inshore when winds / temps / bait conditions are right and they mover further still up into the sounds and tributaries to spawn and summer over.

The studies further went on to speculate that there were distinct VA, NC, SC, GA, etc schools of redfish that didn't really intermingle. I'm thinking that maybe this holds true for larger mature fish, but not so much for the puppies / yearlings. Any ideas?

Any tag returns on larger fish? Inquiring minds want to know......

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.