Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to get down to PLO last night but was unable to, just curious, is anyone having any luck at the point from the causeway?

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I was there on Sat from 2:00-9:00 pm at the causeway. It was low tide and very windy. I caught 6 croakers range from 15-18''.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was there sunday night from about 10PM. Two words: "croaker city" :D . I left around 3AM and everyone was still catching them. They were hitting on bloods and squid.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
when you say the causeway, is that the rocks by the road before entering the park?
I thought you had to be camping at PL to be able to fish those spots.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Husky, Yes. I believe those campers get to park in the center of the parking area. FOr non-campers, it's going towards the end of the causeway.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
oh, the end as in clsest to the park or as in farthest from the park?
Also, how far out do you have to cast to catch fish from the causeway? Are 12' and 15' the norm there?

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I don't have a 15'. I have 2 7's, a 9', an 11', and a 12'.
Looking at the weather, I don't think I want to be doing an all-nighter at all. :(

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Husky,
The parking spaces at the causeway is marked with "for campers only". Like JangWuah said, pretty far out. I'd say around 200ft. However, when the tide is moving in or at night, anything can happen. BTW, went there last night (not the causeway, but the end of the park), almost filled my cooler. Whew!!, what a night!!!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Once you get to the causeway the first space is for non campers and the last space is the same as the first, the middles ones are for campers only,once you go past the last one you have the beach area in which I think you can fish,there is a small jetty that you can fish off of (during thr day). But if you should fish off the causeway or the beach you will need a 12'or 15', but you can get by with a 12'and use 4oz.& heave it you'll get to the fish zone. I use 15lb.test on one and the other one has 17lb.(both 15'ers) just in case of Lg. Rock or Blues. :eek: :eek: TRIGGER

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I can cast just as far with my 11' as my 12'. Is the reason for the 12 and 15 to clear the rocks or for distance?

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Husky,

Please don't tell me you're thinking about getting a 15' rod! :eek: Save your money! Good technique and casting practice (And I NEED some! ;) - will get you longer distances than a 15 foot rod. ;)

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
You don't need a 15'. Your 12' will do just fine. My father in law fishes PLO all the time with his 11' and 12'. He does quite well.

Also, its matter of if the fish is there or not. Man... I seen some ludicrous things on PLO pier. This guy had like four 15' and hogged the whole left corner. Ridiculous...

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Jangwuah,

I have yet to see ANYONE with a 15' rod outcast someone who knows what they are doing with a 10' or 12' rod.

Four rods? No wonder I don't even think about going there. Reminds me of the last time I fished Matapeake and two guys had five rods each (10 rods total) taking up half the pier. Can't anyone use 1 or 2 rods anymore? The way I look at it - I use two rods with 2 hooks on each - put different baits on each hook - and wait and see what the fish like. Two rods is plenty especially if the fish start hitting.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
I agree... two rods is plenty. Also, when the fish are really hitting hard, you can't handle two rods...

Sandcrab, we need to head down there sometime. Don't worry we won't bother to go on the pier during summer months. I know where we can get cutbait from a local fisherman.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey Tuna,
Man let me know the next time u r headed down to PLO so I can tag along. Haven't been there as of yet, but definitley looking for a new area to try. I'll have to let you in on a little entrepreneurial idea if I can find some areas of interest that might suit. Anyways, just some thoughts. Let me know. E-mail me @ [email protected] Work e-mail when you get a chance.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Yea don't waste your money on 15'ers,a 12' will do.The only reason I have the 15'ers is that they were given to me a couple years ago(complete sets)one guy owned a bait & tackle shop in VA. and found out that his employee's were stealing from him and went bank rupt and had this 15'er and asked me if I wanted it. A friend of mine had passed away and his wife asked me to get rid of his fishing & hunting equipment,so I kept a few items and sold the rest,gave the money to her.Yea but a 11' or 12' will do just fine.Husky - you stand on the rocks you need it for distance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts