Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all, Unconfirmed speculation has it that all recreational anglers including Charter Boat and Pier anglers will as well have to obtain the New Licence if the Bill is passed. That in addition to the Pier and or Commerical Charter day trip Boat already holding a Licence that allows them to sell you a pass. What has anyone out there heard about the issue as of late. If it is true boy do we have a fight on our hands..Dave

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Are you saying the a recreational angler will need a license to fish on a charter boat? If so that sux.

Catman.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NCSWRL

Morning Catman , That appears to be True. Can you see every angler fishing from a day trip Charter boat including the larger ones like the Continental Shelf out of Morehead City having to sale all the anglers a separate State Licence before they get underway. And as well Every Public pier having to do so. As It reads anyone over the age of 16 will have to have the New Licence while in the act of taking fish. OH Boy here we go again!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I found the following on one of the North Carolina pier sites that you might find interesting:

........ I would like to take this opportunity to speak my mind about the fiasco that the NC GENERAL ASSEMBLY is making of the NC RECREATIONAL FISHING LICENSE .......... I can't for the life of me understand why the NC CCA and other special interest groups keep trying to push this on us ........ the legislature has turned this into a TAX issue, completely ignoring the intent of the original concept .......... The license idea was designed to enhance the FISHERIES, including enforcement, resource enhancement, and education, in addition to statistical data. The original thought was that it would not be a burden on recreational fishermen and the TOURISM INDUSTRY ......... What is on the table now is NO ENFORCEMENT MONEY which means no additional MARINE FISHERIES Officers........ In addition, the commission that will oversee the funds will be controlled by MARC BASNIGHT and his powerbrokers in the LEGISLATURE .......... That is not the only problem with this situation .......... The new bill also disallows an exemption for FISHING PIERS and CHARTER BOAT owners to have a BLANKET LICENSE ......... This means that people coming to the coast for a day of fishing will have to buy a $10 or $15 license before they can fish on the pier or charter a boat ......... The original idea (which is the standard for ALL states that have a Recreational License) was to let the PIERS and CHARTER BOATS pay a set fee and allow their customers to fish on their license .......... Obviously there are some legislators that do not understand the equation here......... It will spell the end of the already threatened PIER and CHARTER BOAT INDUSTRY ......... We will have plenty of local LICENSE TOTING fishermen, but lack of tourists and day visitors (the maintenance money) will start a decline in coastal recreational FISHING PIERS and CHARTER BOATS that was just beginning to recover from the devastating HURRICANE SEASONS ...........

We cannot fight this from the coast only ......... The NC FISHERIES ASSN. ( the commercial fishing association) is against this bill because the original intent was to tighten up the fisheries with more enforcement, thus making it harder on them to conduct BUSINESS AS USUAL ......... The current bill is going to eliminate ENFORCEMENT MONEY, give power to the PORK BARREL POLITICIANS, and kill this wonderful avenue of fun and recreation that so many people have come to love........... You do the math....... Call your legislator and tell him or her that if they can't pass this bill in the spirit of the original proposal, than KILL IT completely ........ This is the second attempt at it with horrible consequences; the BIG POWER politicians and Commercial Fishermen are going to win again!! .........

·
Registered
28 Posts
I live in N.C. and we have a political mess going on with the RSWFL proposal. In fact, I have a couple of questions that I would like to ask those of you that have license requirements in your state.

First, is the license, in general, a good thing or not so good? If you could make the decision, would you keep the license requirement?

Eventually we will have the license requirement whether we like it or not but I wonder what real effect it will have on me.

I see it as nothing more than a new tax. All the straw polls that I've seen on the net disagree with me, however. The license is favored by about 3/4 of the poll participants. Go figure! :)

Frog

·
Registered
348 Posts
Frog asks if the license is a good idea,

i would say that for michigan it has been. i think the reason why is two-fold. 1. the money generated by all license sales in michigan HAS IN FACT been used for enforcement/enhancment/restoration/education relating to fishing (and hunting, as all license sales are lumped in). 2. we have a powerful sportsman's lobby, the Michigan United Conservation Clubs, which has served as wathcdog for ~60 years.

as far as how i, as a tourist, would feel about the license? well,since i would be coming to fish for a week or so and am used to having to buy a license i would not be bothered by a 10 or 15 dollar fee for a week of fishing. i have often ventured to canada and paid either 7.25 for a three day or 15 for a 14 day license.

i don't know how others in NC, such as those who only fish head boats, would feel. to me it would not change my vacation or fishing plans. the biggest problem i could see would be the added pain-in-the-*** factor for the operators of piers and headboats,

cheers
jerry

·
Registered
47 Posts
frog said:
I see it as nothing more than a new tax. All the straw polls that I've seen on the net disagree with me, however. The license is favored by about 3/4 of the poll participants. Go figure! :)

Frog
I think you're putting too much trust in the accuracy and "pure intentions" of those polls... (are you referring to the web poll on the linked site?).

I agree with you, from what has been written in the forum, it sounds like purely a method to raise revenue for the state... and absolutely nothing to do with conservation.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Cocoflea,

Would you mind posting a copy of your post above in the CG Forum?

Also, any idea which special interest groups have been pushing for this if any? or did the legislators initiate this on their own?

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Perhaps some of us should seriously consider running for office.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I personally think this is a good idea, only and I want to stress the word ONLY, if the monies are used for nothing other than fisheries and anything to do with fishing for the PUBLIC good and not commercial enterprises nor put into a General Fund.

Here in VA we can see the true value of the license. Fish are coming back in great numbers do to the efforts of fishermen and fish conservation. The education value alone is worth the price of a license.

Some states like TX and LA I believe go a littkle overboard in the fact that they have seperate stamps or licenses for numerous species like drum or striper and many other fish we enjoy fishing for under our standard license.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I wouldn't go on a headboat if had to purchase license

I wouldn't let that keep me from a charter trip, but I would not buy a license to go out on a headboat if I was down in NC on vacation. I think there are a lot of others who would say the same thing. It depends of course on the cost of the license.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I forgot to address the pier, boat and charter boat licenses.

I totally disagree with individual licenses for these activities. The method provided by the state of VA is preferred.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I recently had family move to North Carolina and I agree with HuskyMD and I don't mind paying a fee on a pier but to also buy a licence would be going too far.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Do boats and piers pay a larger license fee to cover those who fish on them? IMO, they should.

I have no problem with licenses...if the money goes back into the fisheries. Frankly, I think what we pay in VA is too cheap. But it totally depends on where the money goes.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
The fair thing is to create a speical licence for the Piers and boats so it will cover the people who use them and not have the people using them pay an additional cost that way the piers and boats do lose money, after all most people who go on vacation might hesitate to pay for both and it would start a domino effect and the ultimate loser would be us the people who fish. My question is why don't our elected office ever ask us after all when they run for office they are suppose represent us,but when they get in office ther forget. Please forgive me for ranting but if you look all along this site we fighting all up and down the coast soon some elected office will look at a crowded pier or beach and feel he needs to start a bill to limit the days a person can fish and create something that we will have to pay for so they can keep track of how many days we can fish and if we fish too many days they will fine us and where does all of the money go, in the general fund so they can justify giving themselves a raise! OK I'll get of my soapbox now sorry again for being long winded.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Well it sounds like NC has a few problems with properly putting a SW license in place.
Frog the Devil is in the details as Ross once said. And it sounds like NC has a few Devils running around.
I like Va's license the price is modest enough for a everyone (including non-residents) to easily be able to afford. Piers, Headboats, and Charters are able to purchase a license for their clients($400 I believe,too lazy to look up)at a price that is a cost of doing business, no real biggie. The moneys are for the enhancement of the fisheries. Including enforcement (comm's and rec's alike)
Now if NC would do some thing like Va I would be very happy to pay it. But if I went on Vaction like I just came back from and I had to buy a $15.00 lic to fish from the pier, surf or a Charter. I would not be to happy. I probably would not go since I hate swiming in the Ocean or sitting on the beach without a fishing rod in my hand and the price is getting too high for the Hotels and everything else. Seven bucks for a pier + a Lic could be the straw that broke the Camels back. Well this is what I think about that
:barf:
Frog if it is done right it is a good thing if wrong it will kill alot of good business(fishing during the off turist season). But then again Bassnight is that way.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
North Carolinas Saltwater Recreational License

Morning all. I'm Glad to see anglers wanting factual education on the matter. Someone asked how "Others" in States where theres already Licensing requirements feel about the proposed NC Legislation.
I'm one of those others. I'm a resident Of South Carolina as well an avid Surf, Pier and Boat angler. South Carolina requires Saltwater anglers to obtain a yearly Recreational Salt Water Fishing License before they can fish out of/ or on their Privately owned vessels or as well fish on one owned by a angler friend or family member. I have held the License as required and have supported the States efforts to protect and rebuild the resources of South Carolina's Coastal waters. In fact until recent years the License was Offically called a Recreational Salt Water Stamp. I personally Bought one every year it was issued before I purchased my boat and did not fish on any one elses. Simply like the Idea of supporting the States efforts in promoting a resource for future generations, including my 4 children. The small Licensing document actually had a Specially designed "Stamp" applied at the time of purchase to the License. Much like a large Postal stamp the only way to get one was too buy the License. Upon License Purcahse you were required to add your signature accross the face of it . Thus canceling it's marketabiliy . These "Stamps became and are collectables among anglers . Each year a different "Stamp" design was issued
making the previous years design more desirable and collectable. The art work used in the "Stamps" design deplicted varing species of Saltwater Gamefish available to the resource user.
The State as well issued varing Lithographic series of the "Stamps" each year in a framable format complete with the postal sized "Uncanceled version", stamp attached. Much like many States Bird or Duck Stamp series. These as well became highly prized collectables.
I believe these offerings incourged The resource users to Purchase both formats"License and Lithograph". In fact many of both were purchased by the "Non- angler" community as gifts or simply for the visual enjoyment of some very fine Art work. Thus a cause and effort situation where both the States Department of Natural Resources it's programs as well the Angling/Non angling community gained benefits both needed and desired.
That Program was elimanted several Years ago. At that time mention was the State could'nt afford to promote it.
Looking back now as The South Carolina Department of Natural Resources Budget is in a shortfall so Troublesome that in recent days the State has announced the Closure of 36 Coastal County Offices Of The States Department of Natural Resources. Some of the Best "meaning" Knowlegable and caring Employees including some of the Brightest Newcomers as well senior Dept staff members are Retiring early or considering the insecurity of a carreer that lacks legislative funding and support. Not because the resource users have'nt made or complied every attempt to support the Efforts. So no an unbridaled legislative action requiring Anglers to support an unfounded licensing program is'nt the only answer or solution for raising revenue. Thanks Dave

1 - 17 of 17 Posts