Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
I am still trying to wrap my head around all this. I have spent many, many hours in the long ago past on the pier, mostly at Ocean Eddies, drinking and talking about fishing. This will be interesting to see if anything comes of it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am still trying to wrap my head around all this. I have spent many, many hours in the long ago past on the pier, mostly at Ocean Eddies, drinking and talking about fishing. This will be interesting to see if anything comes of it.
They state that it's supposed to be comparable in construction to Jennett's Pier... and construction may begin as a soon as september. The comments below are great for a good laugh...:D

·
Registered
114 Posts
construction may begin in Sept.? I'll believe it when I see it. Don't get me wrong I think a nice sturdy updated concrete structure would be nice but the ferris wheel idea is just ridiculous lol.

·
Registered
929 Posts
If that happens prepare for higher pier fees and higher parking fees. That's always the last pier I would go to locally now adays just because of all the fees involved. plus whatever else they might want to charge for. they already have little parking ,i wanna see how they gonna fix that.
Nothing about that pier now is convenient for local fishermen but only tourist..

·
Registered
486 Posts
Well I would go visit it on vacation sometime if they do build it. They should build a multi story parking garage for tourist and locals. They have some in the area but are far walks and the closes one fills up quick unless you come early like 6am. The ferris wheel idea comes from places like Santa Monica Pier or the jersey shore where it is a popular addition to piers. They should make it longer than vb pier nearby if they want to attract fisherman.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
It may be a pier, but it wont be a "fishing" pier. It will be a tourist attraction and a bird/whale watching outpost. Heaven forbid someone actually kill a precious fish on it.

·
Registered
711 Posts
It's always for the out of towners! That's why I got a kayak. I used to pier fish a lot and hit various hotspots off the bank, but it is so much easier to do it from a kayak.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
It may be a pier, but it wont be a "fishing" pier. It will be a tourist attraction and a bird/whale watching outpost. Heaven forbid someone actually kill a precious fish on it.
Agreed. I have a feeling fishing won't be allowed. This will just bring in more tourists to the pier. Even if it was a fishing pier, good luck trying to catch something on it with all those people.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Agreed. I have a feeling fishing won't be allowed. This will just bring in more tourists to the pier. Even if it was a fishing pier, good luck trying to catch something on it with all those people.
It'll be a lightning rod for tourists...what made me chuckle was the comment about the "fireworks platform".....I mean ....really vb....Really? Fat cats with more money than they know what to do with... Who's up for extending LIP and making it concrete like Jennet's? ..but hey what say do I have...right? But when out of towners are willing to pay $40 for all day parking and wait in line to get into a parking lot I can see WHY they are catering to tourists:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Don't get me wrong, as a sports guy, I'd be excited for a major league team to come, but the traffic that's going to cause will be a nightmare. I honestly hope this new VB Pier stuff doesn't happen.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
That arena project was the reason they raised the toll fee by $3. I'm glad not to be paying those tolls anymore. lol
But you can byass the toll in about 7 minutes easy.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Honestly, that's always been an underrated fishing pier. It's plagued with tourists and bottom fishermen but it's a great spanish pier many years. And even though it's too short and in shallow water I've seen tons of cobia come off it. There's even a decent drum fishery there some years. If they put it out further it could be amazing. But yeah, parking would probably be insanely high.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Honestly, that's always been an underrated fishing pier. It's plagued with tourists and bottom fishermen but it's a great spanish pier many years. And even though it's too short and in shallow water I've seen tons of cobia come off it. There's even a decent drum fishery there some years. If they put it out further it could be amazing. But yeah, parking would probably be insanely high.
Well, I went there a lot and yes a lot of sharks, cobia, and few giant drums came out of the waters. People wanted another pier on the other side of the island.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts