Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I'd start a thread where we can give reviews of new stuff we bought or old stuff we love an still use.

I'll start with my opinion of Ticas.

Got th 8 an 9' spinners that I use for lure tossing. 8' is rated 1/2oz to 3oz an that is right about on. Cast like a dream an has enough backbone for th small stripers I have caught. Th 9' is rated 2-6oz an IMO is a little exagerated. Have thrown 3oz spoons with it an like it as it will toss em nicely, also has enough flex in th tip for good bite detetcion. Plan on using th 9' also for Bay fishing up to 4 or 5oz.

Sold my 11.5' tica awhile back an am starting to regret that. In my haste to get a stouter heaver(at a poor mans price) I dumped it to get th OM. Overlooked th fact that th tica would make a excellent Bay rod fishing up to 6oz on th norm an still be able to throw 8anbait although be whippy IMO. A great rod for th price, I kinda wished I had hung onto it.

Anybody else care to share opinions/ experiences good or bad?

·
Registered
389 Posts
I've got the 12' Okuma Solaris and the 8' also. I like them both alot especially for the amount I paid for them. The 8' seems to be right in line with TICA as Cdog is talkin about, cast nicely and light. The reel I have on it is the Okuma Inspira IS50, now that I've had it a while I think it could use the IS-40. The 12' will throw a 2oz spoon to 8&bait if you need it too. 6oz is definitely the sweet spot. I looking to buy the TICA 10'6" 2 to 8oz for the wife :D :D How does that rod load up?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Poleant,

I have the 10'6" Tica(SpinUEHA) that I got for large lures and such. The most I've tossed with it is 5 oz. It launches the 5 outa site :)! Also, makes a great backup!

Macman

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Clay........I have the 9' Tica also, but I use my 11' Tica to sling 5oz. It feels a bit of a stretch to go for 4,5 on the 9..........woulda held on to the 11-6 and matched it up with a sl20 and not have to worry about buying the OM2-6(dats what I did)........JMveryHO.....the R

·
Registered
334 Posts
LOL Cdog dont count on gettin that Tica back Ive only takin it fishin once and i love it! I think there great rods and theyre not real expensive so someone like me can actually afford somethin decent. I think the Ticas are awesome!

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the rhondel said:
Clay........I have the 9' Tica also, but I use my 11' Tica to sling 5oz. It feels a bit of a stretch to go for 4,5 on the 9..........woulda held on to the 11-6 and matched it up with a sl20 and not have to worry about buying the OM2-6(dats what I did)........JMveryHO.....the R
Rollie, I've tossed up to 4anbait with th 9' an it does ok. You are right bout th 11.5' but I will prolly do th OM lite an put my 525 on it. Use it as a Bay/metal rod.

Bassboy, I hope ya enjoy it an catch many fish on it. Thats th rod I got my first striper over 30" on. Treat it well.....;)

·
Registered
334 Posts
LOL dont worry the only way itll get hurt is when it gets bowed up with that 200 lbs cobe ive been lookin forward too

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Ticas are good rods

I have a 7' 3/4-3oz Spinning:which is good for tossing 1-2oz lures but does all right with 5/8oz Gottcha Plugs.A 10' conventional 2-8oz which 5-6oz n bait which is the sweet spot;it also wooped a 11lb Drums butt in 8mph currents.And the wana be 12' heaver in a Spinning which I think can toss 10n bait but better off with 6n bait;it could probily toss 8n bait.All in all Ticas are my favorite big fish rod;however I wish they couuld be a little less brittle then they could be the best rods ever.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I have and have had a few Tica's...

Spinner 9' 1/2-3oz, will smoke a 1.5oz Spanish Buster and fights em just as good, love this rod for Spanish/Blues/Stripers. Extended the butt 4".

Conv. 9' 2-6oz. My sea-mullet rod, extended the butt about 6" on it, and it throws much better. Good bite detection and likes 3-4oz + bait. Also use it for 2-4oz lures.

10' convetional 2-8oz. Have had 2 now and didnt like em, sold em both. The action just didnt sit with me for how long the rod was, too stiff imho.

12' conventional. Liked this one until I got my 11'9" Breakaway, then sold it. 6-bait was it for that one. Good rod tho.

Thinkin about gettin a 10'6" spinner for stripers. Gotta Daiwa 4000 to hang on somethin, should be a good match.

Adam

1 - 10 of 10 Posts