Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys
Saw a post some time ago where a guy was useing a lacross ball to throw with like a baseball for casting practice, just wanted to know if anyone knows how much the lacross ball weighs ,sorry I know zippo about this , one more thing -since the pack of pitching practice balls are so very expensive does any body know a web site or store where you can get them as singles 8oz.baseball???:) :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
8oz baseballs...

...don't exist. Had to open standard ball up and put 3oz lead weight inside and seal back up. Word of caution: throwing repeatedly with this weight can put lots of pressure on your elbow, shoulder socket, etc. til the timing is just right and then you won't feel the weight (proper balance). Stressed my upper tricep/shoulder muscles several months ago and still working out the soreness. As for cost of baseballs, typically run from $2 to $3 bucks unless you can find'em on sale for $1 each.

No clue what a lacrosse ball weights or where to get'em. Good practicing! John.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Lacrose ball weighs between 5 and 5 1/4 oz per NCAA specs which is the same as a baseball. Baseball is 9 1/4" in circumference vs 7 3/4 to 8" for a lacrosse ball.

Actually it might be better than a baseball because it has no seams.

Never cast a baseball but a big baseball fan and was wondering, if you cast a baseball w/o spin, aren't you liable to get a knuckleball effect?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use a lacrosse ball with good succes. I drill a 1/8" hole through it and either:

1) wire it through with 1/16" ss wire and make a loop on top.

2) take a large nail (one longer than the ball diameter) and push it all the way through ( the head acts as a stop) and cut it off leaving about 1/2" sticking out the top. I then lay this 1/2" stud flat on an anvil type surface and peen it wider so that I can drill a 1/16" hole through it. I then use a fishing snap swivel combo for attachment.

Wiring is easier but the nail is cleaner.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

Thanks for all the good info guys / va apraiser the pitchers practice pack comes in a pack of 6 balls ranging fm 5 oz. - 11 oz baseballs the kit is very expensive i think $49.95 This is way to much to spend for practice balls but I brought it anyway just so that I could practice with a 9 oz. ball that feels like a 8 oz weight for perfecting my form with the O T G and PENDULUM . thats why I aked the question if any one knows where to purchase singles at.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts