Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm getting awfully frustrated trying to keep my jig heads on the line. Using 30 lb line and tying a blood or clinch knot. I'm obviously doing something wrong 'cause the jigs are flying off the line. The same happened when I tied a bottom rig on. The knots are coming untied over the course of casting.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Again, tw

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Most folks I know use a palomar knot when tying on any kind of terminal tackle to a braided type line, Fireline, Spider, Power-Pro, etc. Look it up in the Knot Guide over on the left panel on the Board. Hope it helps, sounds like it may be worth a try.

·
Registered
500 Posts
What jay b said. Palomar does the trick. You can also use 10 turn uni that is then secured with a couple of half hitches.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
10 turn uni??!! Man you are a patient guy w/ nimble fingers & good eyesight. I'm just not worthy!!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Another suggestion - double the line thru the jigs eye and tie a five (or more) turn(s) improved clinch knot.

Since you mentioned the knots are coming undone, I presume the line isn't being cut by the eyes of those jigs which may be rough.

Might also want to make a good connection to a reasonable size snap, then simply attach jigs to the snap -or- tie a length of mono/flouro to the jigs, and attach to snap.

W

·
0 Posts
TW....I use power pro on several outfits. I don't like it for everything ! But on those where used, tie on a shock leader of mono - preferably ANDE (or flourocarbon - but hard to knot without a lot of experience).
But I use 3 rod lengths of shock leader. The clear Ande is stiff - making it an ideal choice. You need a rod length down, one along the rod, and enough for several wraps around the reel. I would suggest #20 test.
It will tie using a triple surgeons knot - but be sure to moisten it well (with saliva).
And if in doubt, touch it with a drop of super glue.
One of the preceding posts had a good idea - in using a snap. But don't make it too large.
You'ed be surpeised at snap test strengths. Even the smalles have a #30 lb breaking point. Thus with 30# power pro, why in the heck do some folks resort to using snap swivels which are humongous....and test way over your terminal line strength. I never could figure that one out.
Tommy over and out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts