Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HEY GUYS I AM NEW TO USEING BAITCASTING REELS AND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF USEING A SUPER BRAID SUCH AS POWERPRO IS A RECOMMENDED THING TO DO FOR INCREASED DISTANCE.I DO BELIEVE THE 20LB TEST IS THE SAME AS 8LB TEST MONO . iS THIS TO SMALL ?I JUST PURCHASED A 525 PENN AND I AM NOT TO USE TO IT YET BUT WILL THIS GIVE ME MORE NEST FOR THE BIRDS!!THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR THE INFO TONY Q. :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
680 Posts
tq, 20# prower pro is =to 6# test in dia. the braided lines are not really recomended for conventional unless it is stated un the reel. it is so thin in diameter that if you put a lot of pressure it will work its way thru the other line already on there, causing it th o snap off on the next cast or give a great backlash. it is ok on spinning.it casts great.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Billr -Thanks for the info on the power pro.I have used it on my spin tackle but was not sure of how it would react on the baitcaster-it's really good stuff though.I can say with no hesitation that its increased that it has improved my spin cast by 30 percent.Thanks again for the reply

·
Registered
578 Posts
Tony , braid by itself will not give you more distance over mono on a conventional unlike a spinning reel . The reduced diameter makes conventionals more difficult to control so it is very important to underspool the reel when using braid .I would only use braid on a conventional if you have some other compelling reason for doing so like bite sentivity or a true requirement for line capacity etc :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts