Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went fishing Oct 10 and 12 in the river in and around DC using large shinner minnows. Here's the scoop. Find any area with a current or moving water and you can hook up with keeper sized rockfish in the range from 18 to 24in. I was using the shinner about 2 feet under a bobber with a couple of split shot. Over by the airport the rocks and bass are stacked in the tube when the conditions are right. Lots of hang ups there but the fishing can be great. The large shinners will also produce rocks, bass and monster cats in the Washington Channel behind restaurant row. I caught a 25lb Blue cat on a shinner and numerous cats in the 5lb range. The rocks are on their return trip to the bay and feeding like crazy. This is a great timeof year to fish the DC area.

·
Registered
270 Posts
And of course, any time of year is a good time to eat the fish you pull out of the Potomac...:barf:

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
DC 14st Bridge

I usually go to the 14st bridge area of the river... and around the birdpark... But never knew rockfish are up in that area... i caught catfish there most of the time... maybe i should give that a try

thanks for the report

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
C&R

I have seen a lot of people eat the fish they catch in the tidal potomac. I saw a guy keep a 25# catfish out of the Potomac over the summer. Probably only would have weighed 15# without all of the lead, mercury and pcb's though. Do I keep fish from the tidal Potomac? No. Still fun to catch though!!

I usually go fishing near fletchers boat house to fish the Potomac. Have you guys ever tried the park at the end of the Reagan National Runway - Gravely Point?? I guess you would need a VA license.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
DC License

That is DC water, so you would need DC license.. the part of the potomac river from woodrow wilson to american legion bridge is dc water... i got busted for fishing there w/ only VA license.. fletcher boathouse area... good stripers fishing in the spring.. beginning of may...

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
DC VA MD

Thanks Crawfish! I have the DC license, but I thought that since Reagan was in VA I would need the VA license. Its a nice park over there, I am going to have to give it a go.

·
Registered
216 Posts
What the @%*$&%

Are you guys telling me that even standing on the bank of the Virginia side at Alexandria (by the power plant north of the Woodrow wilson), you need a DC license to fish? What crap is that??? It is bad enough that MD has decided to lay claim to all of the rights of the river (even though it touches WVA AND VA). They are just nice enough to let VA people fish it, but they wouldn't DARE let a VA person hunt the river! And now DC has decided to reep some financial benefit from what little bit of water front property they have? If it wasn't for DC the pollution levels wouldn't be so high to begin with!:mad: They ought to let anyone fish their section out of sympathy for what they have done to the river. Let them control that sludge they call the Anacostia, if they so desire. I work in DC and the more I am here, the more I see how lousy of a city it is! Sorry All, My 2 cents
- Surfman

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Surfman

I also fish that area during the sping, usually rite by the power plant. Hope to meet you there next spring. The DC police don't always come down to that area of VA, but they hang out at 14 st. more. The land belongs to VA, but the water is DC water, so if we fish there, DC license is required. The chain bridge area is terrible... rangers up there would come by and ask for you license if you just use a stick and stick it in the water.... and they all dress like civilian too... didn't know about the licensing last year,,, got ticket there ... thinking i was fishing on VA side of the river...

crawfish

·
Registered
216 Posts
Craw

Just out of curiosity, what is the amount of the License? And where in the hell do you buy a fishing license in DC? At one of the corner boarded up liqor stores, or GoodGuys?
- Surfman

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Quick question, are those rockfish really uneatable? I can understand the catfish, but rockfish move around a lot and I really doubt that they live in the potomac all their lives. A rockfish caught in the ocean or in the bay could have lived in the potomac at one point in their life. I could be wrong but does any one know?
-Anthony

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Res vs non-res

I think there are some resident rock that live in the potomac, at least that is what I have heard. I wouldn't doubt it. When the migratory rock come in, there is a good chance you are catching Non-resident fish that may be perfectly fine to eat, but I think that you are taking a chance. Can you tell a resident from a non-resident. I dont think eating one resident rockfish each year would even be too bad for you. Everyone has their own comfort level.

Check this article out:

http://woodsandwatersmagazine.com/Articles/RiverRock.htm

"Two rivers with good populations of stripers are the tidal Potomac River in Maryland and the tidal Rappahannock River in Virginia. Both rivers receive good stocks of migratory stripers and maintain a population of resident rockfish year round"

·
Registered
216 Posts
eatable rocks?

Well,
Truthfully, from what I have read and have seen on the news. PCB and Mercury never leaves the fishes body. And the tidal potomac has quite a resident population of school striper. Females don't start breeding usually until 7 years of age (roughly about 8 lbs) and live in the river until they get the urge to travel out to see as Cow striper. Large and smallmouth bass were on the news as fish not to be eaten from the tidal potomac. So I would say, to be safe, 7 years of PCB in fish is enough to not want to eat them, even if the fish is now 20+ lbs. At most it would just disperse the toxin through the fish not making it as strong. Choice is yours, but if a fishes body doesn't rid itself of the toxins, does yours?

That is how I have been informed,
- Surfman

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Dont take this the wrong way...

but this article says that Mercury levels in fish aren't as harmful to humans as previously thought. I do still choose to take a more conservative approach and practice C&R on the potomac, but the choice is yours.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/diet...reut/index.html

Study: Mercury in fish may not be so toxic

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- The mercury that builds up in the flesh of fish may be less dangerous than people feared, scientists reported.

http://www.pierandsurf.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4456&highlight=mercury

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I have caught a of fish from the potomac from chain bridge and fletcher's boat house on down and quite a few of them have had small lesions on them. I gave them away. As said they are fun to catch tho.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
The rocks that were coming over the rail at the "peake" had alot of sores on them and these were just two weeks ago.
I fished the potomac all the time and I do enjoy the walleyes around chain bridge..I geuss it's just me :D

The potomac has to be the BEST river in the mid atlantic area.. were else can you catch lm, sm, rock,monster cats, crappie walleyes w and y perch and some times muskies yr round ...I have caught all but muskies between oct - march.

Here's a secrect ..There monster crappies in the pentagon lagoon from now until march the best time is [ nov to feb]the colder the better .There also monster walleyes just north of chain bridge i'm talking about near double digits..the best time is [Dec- Feb] again the colder the better
later Dre'

·
Registered
369 Posts
I am a police officer in DC. The book that comes with the license actually states not to eat the carp, the cat fish or the eels. The migratory rock fish should be no problem.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts