Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a Potomac blue catfish caught over the weekend, across from Georgetown on the VA side. We didn't have a scale with us but I estimate in the 60s, my friend was having a hard time holding it up for a picture. Go to bait is chicken hearts from the H-mart, we were using slip weights and metal leaders with big circle hooks fished about 10-15 yards out. I have been going to the same spot for years and it's really hit or miss, it seems that when you aren't getting any bites at all there is usually a big boy swimming around scaring off all the small fish and when you are getting a bunch of bites there are a bunch of small fish swimming around nibbling at the bait. A friend of mine recently bought a jon boat and we have gone to the Fort Washington area to fish for cats many times but have not had any luck with the really big fish - the old shore spot is tried and true. We generally catch the biggest fish when it gets cold and after a bunch of rain - usually when there is no moon out, but again - it's really hit or miss. Against the wishes of MD DNR (http://dnr2.maryland.gov/fisheries/Pages/catfish.aspx) we let him go, even if we killed him what would we do with him? Eating that sucker is a sure way to get some type of illness, be it PCBs or mercury or whatever, and killing a fish without eating is just doesn't seem right, so he swam away to continue his invasion of the Potomac.

Fish Fishing Fish Bass Carp

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
Now that's a big kitty. Thanks for performing CPR on the big one. Catch - Picture - Release.

·
Registered
205 Posts
nice catch! i usually fish near fletchers using bluegills or mullet with the biggest cat being 42 lbs. been trying to catch one like that all year!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Nice fish!! Not to be a Debbie downer.....but I suggest supporting the belly of the beast while getting a photo to avoid putting all 60lbs on the fishes jaw! Sounds like you don't want to harm the thing, so that would be a better way.

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
Nice fish!! Not to be a Debbie downer.....but I suggest supporting the belly of the beast while getting a photo to avoid putting all 60lbs on the fishes jaw! Sounds like you don't want to harm the thing, so that would be a better way.
That's something we should all practice.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'm not so sure I'd be in the practice of releasing invasive species. But that is one hell of a fish pretty work

·
Registered
179 Posts
Man that is a great catch!! They have caught some big ones off of Haines Point as well. Glad you released him. I would not eat anything that close to DC.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I apologize for butting in here but that linked MD report on cats has me showing my armchair scientist side. I recall years ago when I lived in Norfolk, waterfront, seeing hundreds of thousands of Atlantic Spot fry, especially at night, in many tidal estuaries of the Elizabeth and Lafayette Rivers.
Looking at the upper bay estuary maps as shown on the MD report showing the extent of the invasive catfish, I wonder if this might not be "a" cause, one of many perhaps, for the apparent decline in the once very plentiful and lowly (but tasty) Spot?

I know, I know...go have another beer...I am still trying to make excuses for being skunked totally on my last two trips to the coast.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts