Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Holiday Greetings to all! I'll be looking to stock me Tackle Box and would like to get some ideas on the more successful lures and rigs that you guys use.....gotchas, storms etc. I'll be primarily surfcasting (OM12SC 3/9oz Ambass7000) and occasionally pier fishing (7"Berk w/Amb.6500) I will be fishing the Va/NC coasts....

Just like to know lure brand color and weights.............

Thanks for any advice or links. Tight Lines to all and to all a good nite!

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
For catching croaker and spot I use the good ol' double bottom rig with shrimp or bloodworm.

There are so many lures, but I'm partial to Rat-L-Traps and
Bass Assassins. Also good is whatever is on sale at Wal-Mart.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
A must have in your tackle box is the bucktail it just catches fish.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
4 to 6 inch Storm lures are a must.I prefer croaker and mullet colors,especially in the spring {april on...}
You might want a few 1 to 2 ounce stingsilvers various colors you can never have too much tackle! unless you got to hump it down the beach all day :)
Rat-l-traps also rock.. i prefer the 3/4 oz. red head white body.or crome blue back.
Other then that i try to think like a fish when im shopping for em and if it looks awsome and very fishable try it .. fish dont see as well and as defined as humans so if it appeals to you give it a try and report what and how well it works..

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Favorite lures...

Topwater - Any ZoYuri topwater plug.
Swimmers - Rebel Windcheater in the larger version, Rat-L-Traps
Bucktails - Red head/white bucktail/white worm
Plastics - Storm WE shads, Saltwater BA's, 9' SlugGo's
Metal - Stingsilvers up to 2 oz
Divers - Mirrolures in purple

Too many others to list...

·
Registered
44 Posts
For fluke, bucktail with squid strip (6'')

Striper, School bus.

Weakfish, rattle traps

blues, anything probably up to a beer can with hooks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like the Bucktail is the bread and butter for most.

Would best way to fish the bucktail be to cast out as far as can straight off of the beach and then retreive bumping along the bottom?

Also Ive looked at the BPS site for Storm lures and all Ive seen is what appears to be a hard bodied plastic crankbait....these the ones you guys are using?

Thanks again for the help! I really enjoy reading all of the posts!

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Where in Va do you live? And what time are you going to BPS?
I would suggest to leave the mega stores alone unless you really know what you are looking for, since the quality and price may not be the best. (I bought a BPS roadrunner (bucktail) and all the hair has fallen off, my K-Mart road runners still have their hair).
PM me since I may be heading down that way to spend a Gift Cert on Monday.

·
Registered
224 Posts
My favorite lure hands down is a 1oz yazuri crystal minnow in red and white. I also like to use 5 inch storms and 4 inch opening night bass assassins with a red 1/2 oz jig head. Stripers really arent that picky there will pretty much hit any lure if there feeding.;)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I like a 1/2 oz red jighead with a pearl colored zoom superfluke, this works great for gamefish that inhabit the lesner bridge. I have caught flounder, striper, puppy drum, grey and speckle trout on this rig. also a few stargazers and oystertoads.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Just really got into the lures this year and so far I would have to suggest the following.

Tsunami 4" mullet splittail.

Bass Assassin in Silver Mullet and Space Guppy.

Gotcha plug in red head/silver body with white tail. The small plugs are murder on the spanish.

Spro Minnow65's. Those are incredible for trout and blues under the lights.

·
Banned
1,208 Posts
fairway,

(1) fresh cut bait (bunker or mullet) and a fish finder rig,

(2) gotcha plugs, jig-grub combo, stingsilver, and

(3) if you have the the time, a castnet, and better yet a boat, LIVE BAIT (menhaden) rig for anything that swims - you'll need egg weights 1-6oz, small-medium ball bearing swivels, owner or gami live bait hooks size 1-5/0, variety of lines for leader material lb test prefer 15-30lb test mono or flourocarbon. Goes running line-egg weight-swivel- leader-hook. Vary hook size on size bait and targeted specie, vary weight based on current/ability to fish bottom, vary length of leader (30-60") on prey, conditions, and location. Then with your castnet go work your butt off for live bunker or other. Go fish from there. Or you can go see Capt. Scott Fentress at Lighthouse Tackle best live bait fisherman I know :cool:

My plug nickel and Happy New Year !

`bucket

1 - 15 of 15 Posts