Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went over for our fall trip with my dad and brother on the 9th and came off on the 13th and all I can say is wow!!!! This was the best trip over in a while Sunday it skate city from N to S no mater where you fished. Monday headed N and was skates again but the farther N we went ran out them and started picking up mullet and small specks on cut bait and gulps fished all the way to the inlet.Tuesday rolled around and we fished the S inlet at a hole with a break in the bar and for the next two days it was amazing from this spot we beached 42 drum from 16 to 28 in. plenty of flounder with only one making it into the box at 18in. blues and more mullet. Waded out onto the point a low tide and you could catch all the small reds you wanted but the man in the gray suit made his way by me twice and changed my mind quick being out there alone.
But the best thing I saw was a group of people I meet and fished with and put on a fishing seminar. This group had been fishing the island since the mid 70's and they new what they were doing.I was amazed as I watched these men land over a 100 drum several 18 to 20in flounder and good size black drum.I fished hard and put in some long hours but couldn't find that citation drum.Aready booked next years trip for a week in Oct. The only bad thing I can say about the whole trip is there are some nasty arse people thet need to learn to clean up after them selves and and take better care of what is offered over there. Sorry for the long story but it was great and i'm now starting to get my stuff ready for the WRI showdown. Hope to seeya there!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Great story glad you had a great time - people that trash things up make a hard argument for fishermen sometimes - slobs like that could ruin it for everyone eventually - i know where i am its like an act of congress to get permission to fish anywhere.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
We were down 10/29 - 11/2 and it was skate city. All you could stand to catch and then some! We caught a few nice trout, one slot red, some pups, and a hand full of whiting. Blues were everywhere, last couple of days the water was flat as glass and as far as you could see, blues breaking the surface. I did notice that there were a few rude groups, but all in all everybody was great. We've already booked our May and Oct. trip for next year as well. Love that place, can't wait to get back. Maybe we will cross paths some time. Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We stayed in octagon #3 where the 3ft deep lake was in front from the wash over people had left a bunch of junk that they should have carried out with them.Other than that it was great still trying to figure out a spring trip that one i'll take the truck camper over for a few days.In Oct were going the 4th -9th.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hey guys, would middle-to-end of May be the best for spring fishing? I can hardly wait! I'm not sure how we're gonna be able to arrange our schedules so that all that want to go can do so (seems like fishinmedic and buckcounter are draggin their feet on nailing down a trip), but you can believe I am gonna try to be down there around that timeframe! If I have to just head-out by myself, then that's what is gonna happen!
We have been talkin about a winter trip somewhere for stripers. Do they ever make their way that far South?
Any way you look at it, I can't wait to get back down to PI!!!!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Whats up Dave? We've been down all through May (me for the last 3 years). So far we've never killed them that month, but I do know some have good luck. Typically we catch the same things we caught this past Oct., just not the quantities. You will normally catch the larger blues (25' +). They are fun, but suck to eat.:--| As for the strippers, I believe they have been caught during the winter months, (check the PI pics page). The only problem, I think the ferry does not run between Dec. and April. If I'm correct, you might be able to take day trips.

By the way, just found out that we will be going to a four day work week. This will give me a four day weekend every other week, and I might try to hit the coast a few more times a year. If you want, maybe we could hook up and drop a line.:fishing:

·
Registered
799 Posts
Been fishing PI for 30 years.......
As far as spring fishing goes I prefer April if you have to make plans in advance. I have the luxury of going whenever so starting in March I watch the water temps and southerly winds. You can pretty much bank on good drum runs in March and April when the winds turn southerly ;-)

As far as catching rock I have caught them around Thanksgiving. The ferry doesn't run during the winter but you can carry a skiff over to the ferry landing and walk over the dunes. I have a beach cart for that purpose and it works wonders. The drum hung around all winter last year at the inlet and they would school up on the shallow sandbars

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Dang that is a great story man! Glad to hear you got into those drummies!! I think I'd like to take a mini vacation and island hop down there for 2 or 3 days. What facilities are located over there?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Dang that is a great story man! Glad to hear you got into those drummies!! I think I'd like to take a mini vacation and island hop down there for 2 or 3 days. What facilities are located over there?
You can rent a cabin or just carry your beach rig and sleep on the beach which is what I do. If you need supplies you can order them from the caretaker on the island. They do have a limited supply of ice already on the island......

PI is a very laid back environment

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
PI is very laid back and is a good place to go and leave all the crazyness of the real world behind for a few days.I think it is one of those places you love it or you hate it me I love it.In 2001 was the last time I tent camped swore then after I survived that storm I would have a tuck camper.Man i'm ready to jump back in the truck and take the ferry ride back over! :D

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys!I've been reading post on some other sites about big drum washing up on PI dead and from what they are saying they are large drum.
I saw the menhaden fleet of boats last week off the beach to the N and several planes working a spotters for them.Has anybody that lives on the coast heard any word on this I would have thought Ocracoke might have had some was up also and Tradewinds post something on this.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts