Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went over on 9:00 ferry on Thursday morning. Hit the beach, and set up camp around mm 9-10. Found a small hole just down the beach from the tent, and as soon as we set up, we started catching fish. over 3.5 days of fishing, we caught 1 slot red, several more pups, black drum, blues, keeper speckled trout,sheepshead, whiting, several keeper flounder as well as some smaller ones. when we got up in the mornings, when we hit the beach, you could look both ways, and all you could see is bait fish busting the water as far as you could see but they was just out of casting range for me. If anyone is going anytime soon, there was several large holes from mm 3 to the north end. caught all of our fish on cut mullet, and shrimp. we used 10 lbs. of shrimp and 15 lbs. of cut mullet in 3 days, if that tells you anything about how the bite was. we met some really good people out there. had a little trouble out of my buddies jeep, but met up with Racewire who took time to get us going again. Thanks Racwire!!!! The only down side to this trip, was that we probably caught over 100 sting rays, but other than that it was good.Already starting the countdown for next trip. Just six short months and counting!!!!!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Good job F Medic we leave Sat morning. Did you get your bait from the marina or were you able to net some? I'm about to bust at the seams ready to go.Thanks for the report!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got the mullet at Inland point seafood on S. Main st. in Lexington. If you call ahead they will cut it and salt it for you. The shrimp we got at a place down the road from morris marina. I cant remember the name of it, but it is where the shrimp boats are docked at. If you can find that place, they sold us 4 lbs. of shrimp for $10. Morris marina sold it to us for $6 a lb. after we ordered it on the island. there was bait everywhere down there, and we got good some good sized mullet on the north end. Good luck , wish I was going with ya!!! Little hint, most of our fish was caught just behind the first breaker!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Hey fishmedic,it was great meeting you guys. The buds really enjoyed the blue berry cool aid.:beer: You guys sure missed a good fish fry sat. night. We had way more food than the 4 of use could eat. I didn't get a single red, but did get a 2' trout, that thing was fat as a pig, one bud got his first red (slot) and we caught a few pups, whiting, couple black drum, toads, a few smaller legal specs, I got a 3 and 4' shark first day and all you could feed skates. One of my buds got hit in the foot by one of those damn pain in the a$$ things, went through his wader boot and two pairs of socks. His foot was a little sore but he drank it off. Glade we could get you guys going, not good to come down the beach and see the hood up. When you guys going back down? Our spring trip is usually in May. Maybe we'll hook up again. By the way, If you guys ever get down to exit 23 off I-77 look us up. PM me and I give you more info.

Glade you guys had fun! Can't wait to get back ourselves.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Racewire. It was really good meeting ya'll. I wished we could have made it for the fish fry, but we got up on the north end and decided that we was going to fish until we either fell over or ran out of beer. We was sitting on a hole that we got some info on, and as soon as the tide changed it was on for about an hour, puppies, and black drum, then the grass started to move in. Sorry to hear about your friends foot, my right thumb has a nice slice from one of them little Mother Feckers. Did not mention it above, but we seen a whale come up the beach on sunday morning. Never seen anything like that. It was awsome to just stand there and watch him do his thing. Anyway, thanks for the help on the beach. This past year, we went down in may, not sure about next year , but will defintly be down sometime. will keep in touch. Again thanks for getting us going.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's worth the trip. I see you are from up the banks a little ways. what is the winter striper season like up there. We got to talking about that on the way home. any info would be nice. when, where, how, bait? thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
It's worth the trip. I see you are from up the banks a little ways. what is the winter striper season like up there. We got to talking about that on the way home. any info would be nice. when, where, how, bait? thanks.

It has been spotty last two or three yrs.. Mainly because the "big push of fish" never really came,as it had in previous yrs.. Usually just like drum fishing,bottom fishing with fishfinder or hi-lo rigs.. There are times when you can catch them on lures or live eels,as in OI or HI,or see them on top along the beaches under birds and catch'n with metal,but the bulk are caught on bait..
I'd say starting end of Nov on most yrs.. Fish can be at OI,N beaches,Pea Island,Point,even HI... Depends on how this weather does,and if the fish "skirt out" or go right down the beach following bait.. Hopefully it will be the later of the two,and they will make a good showing..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts