Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend took me wading to a spot he caught 30 trout at last week south of the Dunlawton bridge. Between the two of us, we managed about 18 trout (7 keepers,) and a half dozen or so redfish around 14".

Dinner's frying up as I type!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fresh shrimp. Managed to scrounge a mud minnow and a few mullet before we went out as well. Once the bite started they didn't seem too picky.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Can you give me directions to the area w/out giving away your secret spot? I am in St Augustine and always look forward to a short road trip...:)

Justin

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you take the Port Orange exit off of I-95 and head towards the beach, you'll get to the Dunlawton Bridges. If you look south, you'll see a large bunch of mangrove...islands...not sure what you would call them, but that's close enough. There's quite a system of oyster beds/mangroves in that area, on both sides of the river. We were in the western set, but he says that the fishing is just as good on the other side (in Wilbur by the Sea,) and the east side's probably easier to get out into.

You probably don't have to come up here to get into fish, though. From what the folks in Edgewater have been telling me, the situation is the same down there. All the fish are holed up in the oyster bed/mangrove islands down there too. I certainly haven't managed to hook into anything substantial from the banks for months, so I know the fish have to be somewhere. :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts