Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm coming down today and staying for a couple of days in a cottage near the Food Lion in Nags Head. Would love to catch a few pompano while there. Bought some sand flea and shrimp flavored fish bites and have some pompano rigs and light surf rods (light 9 footers). I have a small beach cart I can pull, but no 4wd. Can anyone tell me a good place to access decent pomp fishing off the beach?
Also was wondering if the wide bend (kahle style) or circle hooks work better on pomps. I've got a few rigs of each type, but have never caught but a few pomps, so any advice is appreciated.
Thanks in advance for any leads. I'm a newbie and can use any help I can get.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Garboman. Anywhere in particulat we cna park and walk to the beach?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Garboman is right, it is dependent on the wind direction and water clarity. It is worth a shot at checking the water before you get to Avon, ramp 30 is a good starting point, its open to foot traffic only to the north so that will deter a lot of people from fishing there (you won't have to walk as far). Ramp 55 can be crowded so I'd recommend you go early so you can find a spot close to the walkway.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd like to thank Garboman and lite tackle for their advice. We went down Friday, spent the night in Nags Head and drove down to Hatteras on Saturday. Stopped first at Ramp 30, since it was on the way to 55. Cauight a few whiting/kingfish/sea mullet there including one really nice one, maybe close to 1 1/2 lbs. Weren't catching any pomps there, so we headed down to 55. By the time we got there it was about mid day and it was packed to the gills with no room to fish. If we had 4WD we probably could have headed down ramp 57 and found a good place, but in front of 55 it was just way too crowded. We stopped at a few more ramps on the way back to the Point, but without 4WD it was just too far to pull a cart.
Finally went back to 30 and by then it was late afternoon. We proceeded to catch a mess of whiting with pretty good numbers of pompano mixed in. They were feeding right in the wash by your feet. Once you discovered not to overcast them it was almost instant hits. Both the whiting and pomps were mostly pretty small, but we had fun, caught what we were trying to catch and learned a decent amount about where and how to target them near Hatteras.By the way, they hit much better on fresh shrimp than on sand fleas or sandflea/shrimp flavored fish bites. We only really had one day down there and I appreciate the leads.
Maybe we'll get down again in the fall when the weather is pretty, the crowds have thinned and th efishing is hot. Got a good idea where to go now.
THANKS!!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I thought you had drove in ramp 30 when I first started reading.. That ramp got me for the fist time...stuck. Been driving since 1973. Dug out a couple times but not that one. I was on the edge of the surf high tide and couldn't chance it. I had enough equipment to MAYBE had got out. Stuck a F250 trying to get me out too. I have a new pull rope that uses kenetic energy.....not happening again of I can help it. Only 527 bucks was my tow bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts