Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually run my surf rods with 20lb mono and hand tied dropper loops tied also with 20lb mono.

Was thinking to start using 50lb mono for a shock leader when throwing 4+ oz lead.

two questions:
1) how long should the shock leader be
2) do I also have to tie my dropper loops with 50lb test or can I keep using my 20lb test

·
Registered
118 Posts
Use floro for the rig... shock leader a few wraps on the reel... 50lb is too heavy 4oz dont really need it... personally i use 17 main and 25 shock catches anything in the ocean throwin 8oz.... pomp rigs i would use 15 floro..let it fly

·
Registered
14 Posts
Pompano fishing with sand fleas is finesse casting so heavy shock leaders aren't required. I use 14 lb main line with 20 lb shock leader and 20lb rigs, 90% of the time it is a 4 oz weight. The shock leader length is a couple of wraps around the spool. Keep it simple!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Use floro for the rig... shock leader a few wraps on the reel... 50lb is too heavy 4oz dont really need it... personally i use 17 main and 25 shock catches anything in the ocean throwin 8oz.... pomp rigs i would use 15 floro..let it fly
8oz on 25lb shock leader 😳

·
Registered
118 Posts
Its what i use never has failed 17 to 25 to 60 to rig. Cheap a$$ penn prevail and squall 15 bout 6 years old. Sharks and drum no problem not one of these experts on here but i catch plenty

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sethmac,

I fish a lot here in southern NC for pomps and mullets from the surf. I am running Tommy Farmer's Carolina Cast Pro 13 foot, 3 to 6 oz blanks (custom built rods) and Akios 555's (casting reels) with 16lb Sakuma (very thin diameter at 0.33mm) running line, with 40 lb Berkley mono shock leader. As always, the shock leader is long enough to have the desired drop length for the cast, plus numerous wraps around the spool. Double hook, hand tied 30 lb fluorocarbon rigs...only fluoro and hooks, no hardware. Fishing with sand fleas, crab knuckles, and clams on small sized/thin wire circle hook. Using 4 oz. sinkers most often, sometimes 3 oz and sometimes 5 oz. MOST of the time, I am throwing AS FAR AS I POSSIBLY CAN to get to the outer bar because, almost exclusively, that is where the big pomps and big mullets I am after are, where I fish. Definitely not a finesse game where/how I am fishing. I catch a bunch of fish this way. I always fish a spinning set up up close/medium distance and catch fish on it, but NOT NEAR THE QUALITY AND NUMBERS of those caught with the long distance set ups. Hope this helps! Scooter

·
Registered
964 Posts
Sethmac,

I fish a lot here in southern NC for pomps and mullets from the surf. I am running Tommy Farmer's Carolina Cast Pro 13 foot, 3 to 6 oz blanks (custom built rods) and Akios 555's (casting reels) with 16lb Sakuma (very thin diameter at 0.33mm) running line, with 40 lb Berkley mono shock leader. As always, the shock leader is long enough to have the desired drop length for the cast, plus numerous wraps around the spool. Double hook, hand tied 30 lb fluorocarbon rigs...only fluoro and hooks, no hardware. Fishing with sand fleas, crab knuckles, and clams on small sized/thin wire circle hook. Using 4 oz. sinkers most often, sometimes 3 oz and sometimes 5 oz. MOST of the time, I am throwing AS FAR AS I POSSIBLY CAN to get to the outer bar because, almost exclusively, that is where the big pomps and big mullets I am after are, where I fish. Definitely not a finesse game where/how I am fishing. I catch a bunch of fish this way. I always fish a spinning set up up close/medium distance and catch fish on it, but NOT NEAR THE QUALITY AND NUMBERS of those caught with the long distance set ups. Hope this helps! Scooter
My setups are very similar to yours. I also use Tommy’s 13’ 3 to 6 rods but with Akins 656 CTM reels. I use 14lb or 17lb Sufix with 3 - 5 oz sinkers. I typically use 40lb Big Game for a shock leader. My rigs are generally made from 20lb -30lb fluorocarbon with Owner Mutu circle hooks and no other hardware. I do use beads and floats on occasion. In the areas I fish the better fish also require a long cast. I too keep a spinning rod in close to medium at all times. I find it is best to be as versatile as possible. What worked yesterday may not work today.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
This issue is why Earl Brinn came up with his rig many years ago. Modified by Paul i.e. "Fishing Mortician" in the past decade. I use it as breaking off a sputnik type sinker could be lethal if you are casting not lobbing. I run both spinning and casting set ups, with a casting set up and when going for distance (i.e. on a long flat beach) I always use an EB/FM type rig:

1. 30-50lb mono shock leader, depending on weight of sinker I'm throwing (usually 10lb shock per 1oz sinker)
2. EB/FM style rig with 30-50lb fluoro main stem with figure eight knots spaced out where I want to attach my snoods (for each snood, I typically tie 2 figure eight knots about a half inch apart and attach my snood in between them)
3. For snoods, I use 15 lb fluoro, sometimes 20lb, 6-8" long, just put a perfection loop at one end and loop end over end onto the main stem of the leader.

The EB/FM set up allows heavy mainline to minimize breakoffs, yet lighter snoods.

When throwing 2-3oz, you can just use a river rig or simple dropper rig tied with 30lb fluoro. If you are just lobbing it out there you can use whatever. This only applies if you are doing things like OTG casts or pendulum casts where a breakoff can cause serious injury...

·
Registered
82 Posts
I use a Pater Nostre rig for this situation: 50lb. main leader with 17lb. fluorocarbon “arms” - with hooks on the ends - tied into the main leader.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts