Pier and Surf Forum banner

pompano question

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  dboyd 
#1 ·
Where would I have the better chance to catch pompano? BBNWR, sandbridge, dam neck. If there is another place let me know. I just didnt figure va beach ocean a place they would be so I did not list it. I usally travel to NC for them but would like to target them locally. Thanks for any input.

#3 ·
The three places you mentioned are all viable places and all have produced pomps. With pompano it is more about finding what distances from the beach that they are feeding. Have what they want to eat. ( sand fleas, shrimp or clams are my top choices) Most of the time if you find the right area they are traveling and feeding you will catch them and can be the only one catching them, other times you just can't reach them or find them.

#5 ·
I agree with your input. I seem to have a little better luck with the 13' thrown far with a female sand flea or sand flea Ez bite. I use a 11' and a 9' in closer trying to find the road they travel. To me the bigger ones are farther out and smaller ones in closer.

#6 ·
beachcaster- Funny thing for me is that my 11' tsunami rod is my pomp magnet. I have caught more on that rod than my 13' surf thirteen pompano rod, even when I cast it shorter in the zone for that day. At times it seems like they will swim right by that rod to get to the tsunami and they have the same line and rigs on them. It just has the "lucky" factor.

#7 ·
Can anyone tell me a decent place to walk onto the beach and catch pompano in the Nags Head area right now? I'm staying near the Food Lion on Nags Head for a few days and would like ot catch a few pomps. Got a small surf cart to pull my gear, but no 4WD.
Appreciate any leads in advance!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.