Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must be doing something wrong, I am in search of pompano. I have been to Playalinda several times this week, only to be skunked three times in a row. I sit there all day and use the same baits as everyone else. Sand fleas, but to no avail I watch all these other guys catching nice pomps. I just don't seem to have any luck. I did happen to catch a nice 26 in red today though, first thing this morning, before dawn. Can anyone assist me with some tips and rigs. All help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Redfishjoebob

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Pompano Push

By Mike Holliday

This might help

http://www.floridasportsman.com/features/pompano_stlucie_surf/index.html

Sometimes their there and sometimes not . Sometimes there on the other guys line .:( Its happened to all of us . Watch what they or using and how far out they or casting . Or just stick your sand spike next to the guy catching and introduce yourself .:p
Just Kidding . I use the double pomp rigs made up from Waly World of make my own . I have found that the cleaner the water the better the chances are you catching the Pomps . Somtimes you just need the Horseshoe in the right spot that day .:D

Pompano: A Well-kept Secret
But we'll tell you where, how and when to catch them

http://capmel.com/Pompano_A_Well_kept_Secret.htm

·
Registered
210 Posts
Well maybe you can fish with me when i go, but work is busy right now so i might not be fishing for another week:( But some tips i can give you: Fish a rod or two up close to the shoreline. Some farther out into the trough. Then if you have a 12 or 14 footer just wing it out there. For bait i like Sandfleas and Cut Clams. Sometimes peeled shrimp works well. I always fish parking lot #1 and walk about 100 yards south of the steps. Most of the time, for me anyway fishing for Pomps is best on the incoming tide. But other times low tide is best as you can reach the second sandbar. Don't give up fish all day if you can you won't believe the fishing sometimes right before dark:D

·
Registered
389 Posts
redfishjoebob, don't feel like the Lone Ranger.

I hit Playalinda #5 at sunrise this past Tuesday, and all I was rewarded with was a beautiful sunrise and salt air in my lungs.

I didn't get skunked though.

I managed to hook a sand flea using a 4 oz. Hopkins No=Eql lure! Must have caught him while the lure was dragging through the sand. He lasted for a couple of casts and then was gone! Put up a hell of a fight though!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

I appreciate the info, I will try it, and now that I know of a few ways in tampa bay I will try there as well, I haven't caught one yet, hopefully this will be my year. I usually fish at spot #11 as it is easier without the stairs to negotiate. and I have done quite well there, just not as of late. Good Luck to you all.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Redfishjoebob--If you come over Tampa Bay way looking for Pomps, you might wanna try using Doc's Goofy Jigs. We've been real successful last few years using them around the bridge pilings in the Bay, also at Ft. Desoto piers and the Skyway pier. I never tried em on the East coast and neither have any of my Pompano pals from the FS Forum.

We've had a bad season over West coast side though for the Pomps, that's one of the reasons I found this board. I'm planning some trips over to Sebastian area, cause I haven't caught a Pomp since last season.

Email me if you'd like, if you want more info on those jigs.

[email protected]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts