Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While fishing my long distance pompano set up today for whiting, I somehow managed to hook a #@&#ing bottlenose dolphin. Long story short, I lost lots of braided line and now its time to respool.

Reel is a Daiwa Millionaire 4HS, levelwind removed. Previously it was spooled with 20lb braid, but I'm considering 12 or so pound mono.

I was mostly happy with the braid, but I'd love input from some of the pros here.

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
1,963 Posts
That's a pretty small reel I have one like it. .. No more line that it will hold then do what's best for you...You are limited in your casting distance because of the levelwind. If you can consistently cast it with braid and not blow it up. Go with 15# braid FG knotted to 20 or 25# Fluorocarbon Shock Leader.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a pretty small reel I have one like it. .. No more line that it will hold then do what's best for you...You are limited in your casting distance because of the levelwind. If you can consistently cast it with braid and not blow it up. Go with 15# braid FG knotted to 20 or 25# Fluorocarbon Shock Leader.
That was my thought process when I initially spooled with braid. Levelwind has been gone for years, and no issues with blow ups. I have several Millionaire 5s around, might throw some Sufix on one of those to try out.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'd recommend that you stay with braid but use a fluorocarbon leader and don't use a 100% knot in connecting the two.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I use two 9' rods rated 1/2 to 3 oz, I cast one long and one short, I now use 20# braid on both of them switching from 12# mono. I picked up distance and feel with the braid. I use 4k reels with PP on them. Even got into pomps this year.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I caught right many Citation Pomps on Hatteras this year using Berkley Pro Spec Mono, 16 lb test clear ...... Braid is not necessary bottom fishing for pomps ..... use a circle hook on a fluoro rig .... spike it, set back and wait for the rod to bend hard are the line to go slack quick .... be sure to set your drag, Pompano most of the time hit on the run ...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Something I have added to my rod collection is some heavier 9 foot rods for pomps or whiting when its rather rough. I know many rods will rate out at 1-4oz, 1-5oz or 2-6oz. You put 4 oz on with bait those rods are generally at their max. The rating is simply that. A rating. I have gone to some 2-8oz rods for those special times. It makes life easier. One might inquire into the catfish line of rods for what you need. I generally use 30 pound braid to 25 pound leader.....fluoro of course. I seem to get some crazy hits at times and just can't make myself drop to 14 pound.......I have used 17 pound titanium which was great. I mostly use a 4500-5000 size reel. But do occasionally have some 4000's on for metal. I'm the guy that comes down the beach with 10 rods on the front, 6 off the rack of the tool box and maybe at times 6 or 8 off the rear hitch rack. I hate wasting time to change up on the beach.

·
Registered
247 Posts
One could also spool with dual lines - shock leader to mono main line to a super thin braid backing line. That'll up the capacity a bunch ... and the cost if ya get spooled again.

As I already posted, Sakuma 14# mono and be done with it ... OR, get a 6500 or 7000 size reel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts