Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day in the surf at New Smyrna beach yesterday, 4 real nice pomps, one 17 inch flounder, dozen or so sail cats, 2 smaller whiting, and a sheepshead. Fished from 10:30 to 3:30 Low to High tide. Used store bought frozen shrimp, some squid, and cut bait. Caught flounder on a Black Yo-Zuri Crystal Minnow (diver).

I kept the 4 pompano,(very large). However, I didn't do to good of a job cleaning them. They had a ton of meat left on the carcus. Any suggestions on how to clean them.? I usually do not keep anything, so that was the first time filleting pompanoes for me.

Any tips would be a ppreciated!

Thanks
;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
LitzFish26- Welcome to the forum

I am not the fish cleaner that I should be so I will let those who know what they are talking about answer your question.

:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice I think I will just let my buddy who works for a seafood joint clean the fish from now on. He saw the fillets of pompano and the pictures of them and he couldn't believe how much meat I missed. Anyway! Thanks to all who responded. I will keep you posted on New Smyrna and Mosquito Lagoon fishing!

Thanks

Litz :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Benthook,
Thanks for the link it was very helpful. It looks like the person in that series did not take the skin off. I was trying to take the skin off and that was what led to most of my problems. Thank you!!!

Fish On Brother!

Litz :)

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
When I grill my Pomp's I leave the skin on and grill them skin down in butter and seasoning. Your making my mouth water . :D :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Koz,

Thanks for the reply. I leave skin on too, but normally scale the fish before cleaning. Wondering if I'm wasting my time taking those teeny-weeny scales off, cause I'll be eatin' that skin. :confused: :D :p

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Never really tried the skin before but I just may do that next time. Crispy , Crunchy :D :D
The only skin I take off before grilling is Snook. I was told that bit of info from I can't remember but it gives the fish better flavor with out it on .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.