Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished the Eastmen's Fleet Monday with my son four pollock in the 20 lb range
steady fishing all day great crew and boat . Now is the time till mid Dec go fill
your feezer it's a short ride to the fish and a fast boat with heated rails
Joe & Joey Finn

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Fished the Eastmen's Fleet Monday with my son four pollock in the 20 lb range
steady fishing all day great crew and boat . Now is the time till mid Dec go fill
your feezer it's a short ride to the fish and a fast boat with heated rails
Joe & Joey Finn
Sounds great. How are Pollock table wise? I saw a show on
discovery and they were catching "Alaskan Pollock" on a huge
factory ship and making McDonald's "fillet-o-fish" patties with
them.

·
Registered
87 Posts
They are the first cousin to cod. If you like delicate white flakey fish, go get some!
Personally, I love them. A little light coating and a med hot pan with a mix of butter & olive oil.... then stick a fork in and enjoy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pollack fishing...by all means, get out there and do some jigging! They're the ugly cousin to the cod, but in the winter much of our cod grounds are closed and they aren't bad eating at all. They're not cod or haddock--but if you want haddock, jig much more slowly, almost dragging your jig on the bottom.

In fact, if you want pollack, think mid-water--almost squidding---drop lure to bottom then crank up 10-15 fast cranks, then drop back down. If you want haddock, slowly jig it off of the bottom, almost keeping it still. Use a single hook on the bottom of the jig and put a red or pink tube on the hook.

Good luck and I can't wait until April 1 when Stellwagen Bank opens up again and we can cod fish in 100 feet of water with tons of success.

Another thing, try using a spinning rod for the pollack jigging. You'll get some strange looks, but it'll work--you can cast your lure into the drift better than anyone else...

Rich Antonino

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes it is tasty, my advice, however, is to take a little extra care in two steps.

1. Bleed the fish immediately. (ice it down immediately too, but that's not an issue in the winter)
2. Take extra care when freezing it to get the air out and don't freeze too much in one bag. You want a quick freeze and quick thaw.

Rich

1 - 10 of 10 Posts