quick question, I am new to the pier and surf fishing but looking on
line at the spinning combo's what is a good pole length for say pier or
surf fishing in Myrtle Beach area ??

Thank you:fishing:

·
Super Moderator
3,417 Posts
Hey Beady, welcome to Pier and Surf!

You will probably get a lot of opinions on this one, but I use 10' Cabelas Salt Strikers from the surf and 8' rods from the pier (I have a couple of 8' Pinnacles and one old Pfleuger that I like). Some of the folks who fish more regularly down there than I will probably jump in and give you better advice. If you're just starting out and don't want to sink a lot of money into it right away, BPS down there offers an inexpensive combo (last time I was down there it was a Daiwa) that would be great for "starters." As I recall, it was a 7-footer with a single-bearing reel. I believe it was $19.99 or $29.99 prespooled with line.

I hope this helps!

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pole

I am on that BPS website right now lol...I see they have a 9ft MH on
there for a combo that looks like me..haha. I am in cold NY right now
and will order one up as we have none of them Stores around here..Thank you
very much.:)

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pole

Just retired from 30 Years in Army so my frame is tired haha.
I am not a large fella so I can handle a 9 footer fine, and I will
be fishing for whatever bites my bait and if you kind people can
help me do that this May I appreciate it. Long way off but I
am looking forward to surf and pier fishing and catching something.

I read about the Got-Cha plugs and shrimp and mullets and
will learn alot before I get there, But I am reserved for May 16th-30th
and excited as all hell.......:D

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I am 5'6 and 140lbs wet, I can heave 8nbait on my 13 footer just fine. but 125grams, on the twelve goes much farther.:D

·
Registered
282 Posts
Also depends on what your targeting red drum, black drum, sea mullet pompano etc. I would go with a taller rod for red drum cause in some cases you will need the distance, but the other fish you shouldn't need a very tall rod. Maybe a 8-10 ft for those like the others have said, that's only for the surf i don't know much about the pier. That is just my opinion

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 10' penn slammer with a sargus 6000 reel and a 7' outer banks rod with a shimano symetre 4000 reel and use them both in the surf. They work great and the 7' is alot easier to use when a school of blues is running down the beach and you need to fish quickly. the 10' rod is nice to get further out or for sharks if the time is right.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pole

I am looking at the 8 to 9 footers right now and I think
if I stay in that range I will be good to go. As them long
13 foot and above are not looking good to me for a
pole to use for some surf and pier ..Thank you for your
help I appreciate it very much.:)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I' am a little different then most here. I have rods from 5'6 to 15ft. My favorite rods that me and my son use on the pier or in the surf is a med/hevy action 7' rod with 7 eyelets to give it some back bone. I do have large surf rods but for me and him we can cast the 7' plenty far with 3-4 ounce pyramids. I throw about 100 to 120 yards and he throws about 60-80 yards. To keep the poles high we have 5ft sand spikes I made. What I like about using the 7ft rods is the sensitivity at the tip. Just Sunday I caught a nice 2.2 lb whiting and the bite was so light I believe I would of missed it on my surf rods. Hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pole

Jaw,
very helpful and Thank you very much as I do not want a big old linker of
a pole to carry and handle lol.......7 footer sounds like more me.....:fishing:

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
First I'd like to say everyone has made valid points. I've stated here before, IMHO, if you are just starting out surf or pier fishing, before you sink a ton of money in gear, wait till you go down and check out the local Walmart and Bass Pro. Because they are located at the beach most of there gear is more salt water stuff. You can find everything you need to start at very reasonable prices. After a season or two when you start to pick up on the trends of where you will be doing most of your fishing you can move up into better gear. I've been surf and pier fishing going on now for 9 years and I still use the first rod and reel I bought at GC pier for $35. I will say, I now have 12- 15 rod and reels.
THIS CRAP IS ADDICTIVE!:D
As for me I use an 8' and 10' rod for the pier and 8'-15' for the surf.
Keep reading here before your trip and by the time you go you will have a good idea of tackle, baits and so-on that you will need to get started.
GOOD LUCK, TIGHT LINES and WELCOME to P&S.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pole

racewire, appreciate the great advice and yes I will visit both BassPro
and Walmart down there and I read alot of different sites on the baits
and way's and how to's so we will hope to try and put all the good
information to use after a cold northern winter here in NY.....Thank you
all and look forward to maybe meeting some of you in May at the Beach and Pier.....God Bless:fishing:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I use 7.5 ft. casting rods with Garcia 6500 reels for the pier (I can cast them about as far as a 9ft. spinning outfit.) But I use the 9 ft. rod, too. On both, I use 17 pound Cajun Red Line with about 40 ft. of 40 pound for a shock leader and to have a larger line for hand lining if I have to. For surf, I have used all of them plus an 11 ft. Ugly Stick with a 7000 series reel with 25 pound for sharks. The smaller rods are so much better for chunkin' and windin'.

·
Registered
781 Posts
The man is right. It is addictive and I can't wait to get back down for more.
I started with a 9 foot Shakespeare from Wally World with just a cheap reel. It worked out alright. The next year I bought a 12 foot Tidewater and use a Daiwa Emcast Sport with 20 lb mono. It does a reasonable job and came in under $125.00.
This year I bought a Breakaway LDX and a Daiwa Emblem Pro. I really enjoy using it and while I don't get it out the 200 yards they advertise, It goes when I want it to.
I also took my little ole Berkly Cherrywood with a Quantum Optix and 15 lb braid that I use for bass and pike up here around Kingston. (it worked great for flounder the last couple of years)

It didn't matter which rod I used, if the fish were biting, I caught them.
The thing you need to remember is we can tell you what we use but it's going to be you making the choices and using it. Buy what feels good and comfortable for you.

I caught my blues way out. (As far as I cared to or could cast)
I caught my Weakfish and trout no further than about 50 yards past where the waves were curling.
I caught my spots just behind where the waves were curling and any sea bass and small flounders were in close to shore.

Good luck.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm with bobmac
In the surf -I got a 12' uglystick heaver for way out. Use a 8' medhvy berkley big game for just past or just infront of the suds. Depending on whats biting. Got Daiwa spinners on both. Use P-line fluor 25# on big rig and 20# on the 8' setup. Also keep a 7'er with an artificial just in cast a school happens to pop up.

I use 8' and 7' outfits off pier. One spinner and one a penn9. Plus still keep the caster handy with artificials.

·
Banned
328 Posts
Thank You

30 years in the Army, thank you for your service. You've gotten some great advice here and I think a 8-9 footer is a good place to start. Then you'll want to fish the surf and go a little bigger. Then you'll realize that some of the fish are in close and that you need that light 7'er. It's a great sport that I've enjoyed for a long time. Best part is the people you'll meet, like the folks here.

Hope you have a great trip in May. I'll be the OBX the week of the 16th, we can compare notes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts