Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw an interesting special report on channel 5 news up here in Northern VA. It was about how polluted the river is. Did anyone else get a chance to see it?

It reported that eating fish from potomac is not recommended and it prohibits any women who has the potential to conceive not to eat any fish from the river. Its not any women who is pregnant but able to conceive!! :eek:

They gave three reasons for increased pollution:
1. Unusual amount of rain this year
2. Pollution from the navy yard in DC
3. runoffs from sewage

They tested 10 fish and most of them had a high level of pvc..
They also said if you do any kind of water sports in the potomac and swallow some water, you might grow another head... j/k but have potential stomach problems...

geez...

·
Registered
597 Posts
Yes I did here about the sewage thing a few weeks ago. THe probelm with so much rain is that the sewage treatment plants cannot handle the excess water from the storm drains so they are forced to dump raw sewage into the river. This goes for all the rivers but especially the potomac since it is right through the DC metropolis. Since it empties into the lower bay that could be a problem. But then again the Sussaquahana river flows into the upper part and that has been polluted for decades. What can you do?

·
Registered
196 Posts
That's funny. I was listening to some fishing or outdoors show on radio in Corpus Christie, TX this past Saturday morning and they were talking about some bass tournament there. The host and whoever was being interviewed were raving about how clean the Potomac was now. Mmm, strange.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings TopSnipe!

The Potomac (and just about all big rivers in the Atlantic drainage) is a lot cleaner than it was before the Clean Waters Act in the 70s. But that's from the point of view of the fish. There are ton's of fish in the Schuylkill and Delaware Rivers in PA, but I wouldn't eat one of them. PCBs, mercury, cholane, and astronomical fecal counts don't seem to bother the fish, but most fishermen are practicing total C&R in the rivers now.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I wonder

I live in DC and fish the Potomac fairly frequently around Fletchers boat house. I see people keeping fish every time I go. Not one fish, and not small fish. People keep a stringer full of 4 and 5 pound catfish. About a month ago I saw (and photographed) a family with a 25 pound catfish. They said they were taking it home to their neighbor who eats catfish all of the time. I hope they told the neighbor where they got that cat. The last page of the DC fishing regs booklet that you get with your license explains that you are not to eat the catfish and you are allowed to eat up to 1/2 pound per person per month of bass.

So, I wonder, do people not know the fish should not be consumed, or do they not care? :eek:

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I think some don't care and have been eating it so long they are just a walking radioactive bomb already. :D You should have told them that any catfish over 10lbs is not worth eating b/c the meat doesn't taste good as they get bigger. In fact I ate a few pieces of catfish last week that I caught out of the river that runs to the potomac on base. Fish was ok but had a little metallic taste to it. :eek: You can bet that is the last time I eat anything from there. Dont' worry only had a few bites, my limit for my lifetime from the potomac.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
yeah glow-n in the dark also its the same here on the james river but what makes me :rolleyes: wonder all these run to the big waters also heard that some of giant whales also full of PCP also tuna fish so on & so on ya definetly gotta watch the intake of these or ya might wind up :barf:

·
Registered
597 Posts
Considering that the same polluted rivers run into the bay the some species of fish that hang around the bay all year could have the same toxins. Fish that move up and down the bay may be better but that is why I mostly catch and release and eat fish maybe once every two weeks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts