Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished from 11:00 PM to 7:00 AM with shrimp, chicken and one sorely sacrificed Blue

10 Blues- 14-17 inches
1 Keeper Striper- 19 inches

Down by the first and second lights on the front of the pier at about 4 AM I saw tons of large fish ( I made them out to be catfish but not sure), tried as I did, I could not get them to take any bait I fished there, they seemd to be preoccupied with chasing the smaller fish around. Anyone seen the same there and know what they they may be?

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
That is weird. The only thing I have seen schooling there that close to shore is the shiners and the smaller blues that are chasing them around. Not even sure if they get catfish there but I guess it is possible. Nice report and welcome to the board!:)

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Usually they are rockfish. I have seen plenty of people catch them there by the first light post. Try throwing out something like a rattletrap or some type of shad. I don't think that there are any catfish around Point Lookout. They could also be large bunker or possibly even drum. Hope this helps.
-Anthony

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Anthony I think your right about them being Drum,I'v seen red & black drum chaseing minnows around that area, I'v seen them roll in a school of shiners/minnows before. TRIGGER

·
Registered
160 Posts
If they were'nt eating shrimp, chicken, or cut blue then I doubt they were catfish. If cats are feeding especially that hard they will eat about anything fresh (and sometimes not so fresh).

Mitch

·
Registered
720 Posts
Sounded like a good outing. Was the action steady all night or was it on and off? I take it that you fished from the pier?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts