Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
ShoreBird,
The Pocomoke River has excellent fishing in that area. Although the water is brackish, I believe that only freshwater species come that far up. I have caught largemouth bass, white perch, yellow perch, channel catfish, and garfish there. Try fishing the edges of the lily pads where the river channel cuts in close. You will do best with a boat or canoe. I'm not sure about Milbourn, but Shad Landing State Park rents them. You will also only be about a 30 minute drive from Chincateague if you prefer salt water. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I took the family to Milburn Landing two weeks ago, a great place to stay. My son caught some nice crappie from the fishing pier. They were hitting small top water plugs near sundown, right near the lily pads . Lotsa fun for a ten year to tangle with, nice size to them also. We saw larger fish rising, but the crappie hit before the big guys could make up their minds. Have fun, and hope the weather holds for you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nice campground, fire ring and table at each site, clean facilities(restrooms, showers), ...just remember the bugspray and/or citronella torches. Some of the mosquitos can be quartered and packed out on a mule...lol.

There are a few mini cabins available also if you're interested, they're right on the river. Check the dnr website for rates and availability. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Steve,

we are taking our trailer down. We are going to the casting competetion in Crisfield but the campground in Crisfield doesn't allow dogs so Pocomoke City was our second choice. I am bringing a generous amount of Deet. I was also looking at those Coleman traps, I understand they work well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The area of the Pocomoke between Shad Land and Milborn landing would be considered fresh water if looking at the salinity levels.

The saltwater influx, or brackish water, does not generally occur until you hit Pocomoke City area, unless an extremely dry year. Even then, the Pocomoke River water shed still yields large volumes of fresh water from the headwaters.

You will need a Maryland Tidal Fishing License, not a fresh water license. The "fresh water" license is strictly for non-tidal waters.

You should find Largemouth bass, Crappie, Bluegill, Chain pickeral, White perch, Yellow perch, Carp, Channel catfish, and Gar. It is possible to find some YOY and juvenile rockfish during the summer months. The larger rockfish spawn upriver, but this occurs earlier in the year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.