Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one plug for stripers in this area (Virginia Beach)? I've only read about surf casters up north using darters, poppers, etc. but have never seen any one use them. By Lesner Bridge I've seen the usual jighead/plastics and Mirrolures. I asked Greg about the Super Strike Little Neck Popper but he's having a hard time finding a distributor. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Seems like a good idea when you run into a feisty school. The closest I've got to what your referring to is dragging a Mirrolure through the current. It'll stay on the surface when the current runs and the schoolies will get on it. But then again, they'll slap anything in site when it's feeding time.

Skunk

·
Registered
614 Posts
Yup...

Do it all ther time. Start with a Zara Spook, Top Dog or surface popper, Then I go to a Mirrolure, and then Plastics as the sun rises and the fish go deeper.

I do so love watching a good fish hit a top water plug...

FW

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
If you are fishing from a boat or kayak, the stripers can be had on all types of plugging lures. Most effective worked around structure, similar to how you would fish for largemouth bass. The rocks and pilings around the HRBT and CBBT, and similar structure can be very effective areas to plug.

Ive' had less success plugging in the surf on open beaches, but if they are there tearing into bait, well as said, they will sometimes hit just about anything.

The very first time I went striper fishing was on a boat in the Potomac river, tossing a Zara Spook into the shallows, when a 14lb striper whacked the snot out of the spook. Not large by striper standards, but considering prior to that I had only caught bass (freshwater) up to a few pounds, it startled me when this fish came up and slammed the spook.

You hear about more plugging up north for two reasons. The areas being fished - jetties- rocky shore lines, etc, are more conducive to fish setting up ambush points, and due to the difficulty in fishing on the bottom with traditional weight and bait (snags, break offs, etc.) it makes plugging the method of choice for fishing up north, in many areas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts