Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about heading down there either Saturday evening/night or Sunday morning/day. Couple questions .........

1) How's the fishing been as of late? Haven't seen much reports but that can either be a good thing or a bad thing.

2) Is the bulkhead producing or strictly pier for best possibility of some action?

3) This time of year - how crowded does the pier get? I am not a fan of big crowds and don't want to be elbow to elbow. I figure Sat night would be crowded - how about EARLY Sunday morning (getting there around 6AM).

4) Any point fishing EARLY morning (6AM on) or is late evening/night (8PM on) the ticket?

I just spent a full Sunday morning watching rods without ANY action at all (SPSP) - not looking to follow it up with a repeat performance.

Thanks in advance.

PS - Does anyone "pin/king-rig" (etc) off the pier end down there? As in use a king rig setup (anchor rod and fighting rod) to deploy live spot out into the water vs casting and trying to liveline? Any success for stripers this way? Or even blues?

·
Registered
372 Posts
I was down about about a week and a half ago. Alot of blue fish in the 2- 3lb range some nice stripper at mornin and into the evening. so many snappers though have lots of bait. I used fresh caught spot and fresh alwive but spot did better. in the daylight I prefer the bulk heads less crowding. The point to me is very good at times. The biggest problem I have with crowd is tangles and botched casts. As for king rigs I like to use those when The big strippers are there and the snapper blues are mostly gone even with whole fresh alwive. I learned the king rig in NC but I think I'm not doing something right so if can help me on that I would apreciate it and I hope this helps

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have been fishing the pier at least 6 times in the last 2 weeks- all the action seems to happen in the hours of 6 pm to midnight- Bluefish and stripers on cut spot

·
Registered
80 Posts
At this time of year (the end of Oct and beginning of Nov), much less blues will be caught at PLO. However, rock fishing will be picked up. Fished last Sunday (10/26) with two friends of mine and luckily caught our limits for blue as well as a few keepers of striped bass. I only took home two blues, and my friends handled the rest.

http://picasaweb.google.com/decentfishing/UntitledAlbum04#5262246924843199090

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone hearing of luck in the early morning? Mornings are usually best for me (can get out of the house before wife and kid wake) and can get back before too long.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Early, early morning is the right time for lures...top waters in the lee of any of the jettys, bucktails, spoons and soft plastics everywhere else. Work the entire point. Start bait fishing when it gets slow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts