Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to choose between the 2. Fished Choptank before, but never PLO. What is the bait of choice right now and are lures workable? Based on weather, etc. which would you fish at? And what town is close to PLO for motel, food, etc.

TL
DG

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
If I had to choose b/w the two, I would have to hit PLO. The reports from there have consistently been better with more quality fish. Although Choptank has had it's share of decent reports, it seems more hit and miss even though on any given day you could clean up. As far as bait goes, any fresh bait you can get your hands on, spot, bunker, chicken strips, or just anything fresh should work. Hope this helps.
-Anthony

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Choptank Bait

Stop at your local fish market..buy some fresh spot..cut into strips and attach to fish finder rig..3/0 or 4/0 hook....cast out to the shadows(if night fishing) and wait for that drag to scream! Maybe this latest could front will turn em' on a little better. Good Luck! Will be looking for your report..I am fishing Cape Henlopen on Saturday!:)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Activity at PLO

I have been to PLO the last few weekends. It had been pretty slow but it also was very windy down there which churned up the water a lot. Saw a few nice blues and keeper striper caught. PLO is the only place I have been this year where I have see so much activity. Last weekend the tiny menhaden where all along the shore and the striper where loving it. The guy next to me, Huntsman, caught a 23 rock. I am going to be there tomorrow morning after those blues. The corners of the pier have been doing pretty well but I stick to the causway and the beach because I am a shore man.

THe blues and striper have been hitting on fresh alewife and spot. There are supposed sea trout in the area as well so chicken would be good. Lexington Park seems to be the closest major town area with a lot of food and lodging places. About 10-15 miles from the fishing spot.

·
Registered
597 Posts
No everything is foot traffic. I personally like the causeway which is the area when you first see water driving into the park because you can park your car and fish right next to it. Cannot beat that. Besides it is pretty good fishing there when the fish are around. Try the middle to the furthest end. Most time you don't have to cast out that far. I will be close to the very end or the beach just past the causeway on the left. Look for the maroon Monte Carlo and say hi.
If you like the pier it is also avaliable there too. It is a bit small and of course the corners are quite good from what I understand. The middle however, has a lot of snags so be careful. There is also another area back to the right before the road closed sign. (the point still not open) But that is the Potomac River side and it can be good for spot and blues and such. Hope you have fun.

P.S. THere is a bait shop just before the park, Ricks Marina, on the left. Bloods for $5.99 and usually fat and they sell alewife and other cut bait. Unsure if they sell spot though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts