Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In case any one was interested in fishing there tonight the park is closed. Wished I had know before buying bait and making that long drive.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
What other spots are close by that the general public can fish?

On a side note, twice this year I have been confronted by over capacity closures. Once at SPSP during a music festival. First group of park workers said closed- turn around. I pleaded my case that I was just gonna look for an open spot near the point to fish- dude let me through...the second group of park workers I encountered tried to wave me over to near the marina- I told them I just want to fish the point. They said fine, if you don't find a spot you have to leave. I got to "our" parking lot and it was 2/3 empty!

Similar thing happened at PLO. The first group of workers said no entry. I drove past to make the u turn out but asked the new group of workers waving me back when I could return. They said when people leave. Just as they said that a car left and I drove in slowly...they said I could enter when there was more space right? I see the two workers scratching their heads as I drove in, away from them knowing I was bs ing. They never followed or yelled, just shook their at the stupid VA driver. Got the causeway and quickly paid the park fee at the honor system kiosk and continued through the park looking for parking. Causeway was 50% occupied and the rest of the park had about 1/3 parking available.

I wish they would be more active and honest on these types of closures. Before anyone says they are counting heads, not cars...well they may count heads on the way in but they can only count cars on the way out. Let's be honest, rec fishers fund these parks mostly so give us our damn access!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Solomons Island is open to the general public they have an nice size pier also St.Georges Island is in that area that is open to the public, Those are the two closest spots I know in that area.
What other spots are close by that the general public can fish?

On a side note, twice this year I have been confronted by over capacity closures. Once at SPSP during a music festival. First group of park workers said closed- turn around. I pleaded my case that I was just gonna look for an open spot near the point to fish- dude let me through...the second group of park workers I encountered tried to wave me over to near the marina- I told them I just want to fish the point. They said fine, if you don't find a spot you have to leave. I got to "our" parking lot and it was 2/3 empty!

Similar thing happened at PLO. The first group of workers said no entry. I drove past to make the u turn out but asked the new group of workers waving me back when I could return. They said when people leave. Just as they said that a car left and I drove in slowly...they said I could enter when there was more space right? I see the two workers scratching their heads as I drove in, away from them knowing I was bs ing. They never followed or yelled, just shook their at the stupid VA driver. Got the causeway and quickly paid the park fee at the honor system kiosk and continued through the park looking for parking. Causeway was 50% occupied and the rest of the park had about 1/3 parking available.

I wish they would be more active and honest on these types of closures. Before anyone says they are counting heads, not cars...well they may count heads on the way in but they can only count cars on the way out. Let's be honest, rec fishers fund these parks mostly so give us our damn access!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts