Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to the causeway at 7:30 am the wind was blowing like crazy. The stripers started banging right away. By 9:30, released 11 with range from 17.5'' to 14''. Caught a 21'' keeper (2 cars in front of me also caught a keeper striper). By afternoon caught a blue (12'') and a 10'' striped fish which I have never seen before (see attachement). It looks just like a spot, but with stripes. Since I lost my regs booklet, coulnd't identify it. It just died there. I believe Huntsman's arrival at 11:30 caused that.:D We continued to fish into the evening and it started to rain, with the wind howling too , so that sucked. By 11:00 pm, we decided to go to the pier to see what's doing there. Lots of lines in the water, but nothing. So, we decided to go to the rear of the park, where they put the blockade and decided to try the Potomac side. I caught 4 spots (1 was 10'', 3 will be bait). Huntsman caught his "unidentified" striped fish. He also lost several huge hits. We'll I called it the night at 1:00 AM, but he decided to spend the night by the causeway (there were still plenty of cars there)
So, can someone tell me what's the name of this fish?

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Joey

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I think I just poached me a no no...I guess when I renew my license, I better keep my regs booklet with me.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
catman that doesn't look anything like me,but I think it's a cross between a sheephead and a youg black drum,if it's a sheephead you'v got a good tasting peice. TRIGGER

·
Registered
87 Posts
It's definitely a small black drum. Years ago I caught many of these in the surf around Cape Lookout (NC). They are good eating.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Stupid me, sheepshead is what I meant to say. I could be a cross between a drum and a sheepshead. Let's just call it a DRUMHEAD .:D Trigger you're right, it doesn't look like you. You're older.:p

Catman.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts