Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to PLO yesterday. The pier was open, but the rear of the park is still closed. I could hear the reconstruction activity going on in the rear of the park.

Reddog1 and I fished by the causeway and the hits were pretty consistent. I lost more than I caught. Did managed 2 blues (1 was 17''), 4 spots and 1 huge toadfish (which was quite yummy btw). Reddog1 did better, so I'll let him tell you all of his lies.:D
Also talked to a cleanup crew and he told me the folks on the pier did not catch anything. Couple of parking spaces before us caught at least 7 blues.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Aren't toadfish those really ugly looking fish with the wide mouth? I didn't know you could eat or would want to eat them. How do they taste compared to other fish? I've seen some huge ones caught at PLO in the past.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ToadFish

It's pretty sweet and tastes little like catfhish. The texture is similiar to catfis as well. But not that bad at all...

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
You better watch it. I heard some of that fish is not healthy for you. It has some kind of toxin that can make you sick:barf: As long as you cook it right you shouldn't have any problem. Most people that eat them really enjoy them. I just can't see eating them.:eek: Last year at the tank I caught one that easily weighed 4 lbs. I could have put my whole fist in its mouth no problem. Now that would have been a meal.

·
Registered
597 Posts
THe toadfishes top fin and gill plate spines are poisonous. THe tail should be fine to eat but there really is not that much meat on them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts