Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for new pliers, what models do you guys like and have? I am looking at the Accurate Piranha,Calcutta Aluminum,and Ross Pescador pliers. What do you guys think out of these and what do you have?

·
Registered
539 Posts
I would go with the Accurate but, you have to buy the pliers, sheath, and lanyard separate. The Calcutta's are nice if your on a budget and they include all of the above. I'm not familiar with the Pescador pliers; if you never want to buy a set of pliers again I would consider pliers from Van Stall.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Craftsman 6" needle nose pliers. Tough, durable, well made in the USA with a lifetime warranty. My previous pair was 3 years old, been used in and around saltwater a lot with only superficial rust but the cutters still cut braid. I'd still be using it if it wasn't dropped overboard in the Delaware Bay (ahem, Anthony ;)). My current pair is about a year and a half and still going strong. Heck of a bargain at $16 per pair! :D

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I am mainly looking at the bulls eye(haha) and ross pliers, the ross pliers are the best according to shallow water mag followed by the accurate they would be the same price after I get the lanyerd and sheth I forget the price after that but it is a minamal difference.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also people telling me to buy normal cheap pliers, thanks but the reason I am spending so much on new pliers is I hate those the last ones I had I chucked off the end of the ocean crest in a rage.

·
3,775 Posts
I like...

Damn that might be a winner, THANKS!
I like the customization plus the parts are easy to replace....

They are high dollar, no doubt. I like tools and have good ones for the around the house and working out of the garage. But i have finally come to terms with fishing pliers.. It seems the more I spend the better they are.

These things cut braid like fine scissors and thats important to me. plus you can change out the parts.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have used many different high end pliers but my favorite right now are the titanium Van Staals, and the titanium Donmar Checkpoint 950. But both of those will run you easily over $300 with sheaths and lanyards. I mainly use them on the boat and occasionally in the surf. I always keep the Accurate Piranha 8" pliers in my surf bag They are nice, light, comfortable, and it is easy to get replacement jaws and cutters if needed. The stainless Donmars are perfect for the surf also, and their customer service/repair is excellent.

John

·
Registered
124 Posts
ross pescador pliers suck -- i bent a set pretty easily. i'm much harder on them than most people, but i'd stay away from them personally. if your going to spend a bunch of money on a set of pliers then you might want to look at abel pliers.
with all fishing pliers you should use them for what they are intended for, but sometimes i have to do some multi-tasking on the water, so the pliers i use are the inexpensive type that i don't feel bad about tearing up or dropping into the abyss.

·
3,775 Posts
I like them Allot....Ryan

Firespyder7 those look like the swiss army knife of pliers.
I've got some 200# mono for a lanyard through them also.
But I also carry some cheaper "anglers" brand pliers that I picked up for about $30 bones and some shimano stainless for about $10 bones. The have thier respectful purposes. They all have cutters. The shimanos are needle nose. The Anglers have good replacable cutters that cut braid easy. They are just heavy.
Ryan

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ross pescador pliers suck -- i bent a set pretty easily. i'm much harder on them than most people, but i'd stay away from them personally. if your going to spend a bunch of money on a set of pliers then you might want to look at abel pliers.
with all fishing pliers you should use them for what they are intended for, but sometimes i have to do some multi-tasking on the water, so the pliers i use are the inexpensive type that i don't feel bad about tearing up or dropping into the abyss.
When was this, from what I have read from MANY MANY reviews the old version are horrid and the blades would break etc etc, but the got out the kinks and they are the best on the market now. From what I hear by several reviews the ross's and the Accurate Piranha are the 2 best on the market for the money.

Also what do you guys think about the Calcutta's they are $70 cheaper that is the big plus.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Plain old stainless pliers are fine with me. Cabelas has some good ones cheap. Weight is not a factor with me. I'm not going to be standing there holding them all day, and they certainly aren't going to be attached to any of my rods. As for cutting braid, a pair of good scissors works well for that.

·
Registered
124 Posts
When was this, from what I have read from MANY MANY reviews the old version are horrid and the blades would break etc etc, but the got out the kinks and they are the best on the market now. From what I hear by several reviews the ross's and the Accurate Piranha are the 2 best on the market for the money.

Also what do you guys think about the Calcutta's they are $70 cheaper that is the big plus.
this was i guess two seasons ago. perhaps they have improved them since, but i sure was dissapointed with the quality then -- just like the drags on their fly reels.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.