Registered
8,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My suggestion to your question would be to coordinate your concerns with the
Chesapeake Beach Civic League. At last night's City Council meeting the civic
league submitted a petition, which you may have signed, with 1,100 + signatures
on it to request the City to acquire the land for preservation. While it may be
cost prohibitive for the City to acquire, City Council agreed to at least have
the property appraised so that they could at least make a fact-based decision.

If the City is not able to acquire the site, and the by-right development does
occur, we will do our best to try and retain as much public parking as we can in
the area.

Sincerely

Brian S. Solis, Planner
Department of Parks and Recreation
Design & Development Division
City of Virginia Beach, VA
Phone: 757 563 1100
Fax: 757 563 1130
E-Mail: [email protected]
Well lets hear from the silent majority.I am putting my .02 cents in.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
One piece of land that I understand included filling in the lake at the end of Pleasure House Rd..

·
Registered
885 Posts
OK Guys, here's my .02c,
I fully agree that Va Beach and all the other cities in the Hanpton Roads / Tidewater area owe the public a place to go and enjoy the beach WITHOUT CHARGE. I think the Pleasure house Road area would be an excellent purchase. It could be easily separated into swimming and fishing areas if the need arises.
I definately DO NOT think the lake should be filled in for any reason. That lake is part of the natural landscape and should be preserved with the trees, sand dunes and beach grass intact.

Gentelmen and Ladies, I really think is is time for us, and everyone else involved, to take a strong vocal and written stand in regard to the rights of the fishing and general public to beach and waterway access. We can groan, gripe and grump all we want on this board; unless, we get the message to our state and cities leaders and make a LOUD noise, we WILL NOT accomplish anything. The commercial fishermen, crabbers, contractors, developers, etc. all have lobbies and money behind them. We have an advantage over them. They can't make loud noise because it would bring their "dirty dealing" with our political leaders [what a joke ] out in the open. I say, lets get together and make loud noise, write letters to our local and state leaders with copies to the news media and get VOCAL with everyone that will listen. Lets stop being door mats and start standing up for what we want. It isn't humerous anymore.

(I am going to copy this to a post of it's own. Lets see some response and ACTION .)

·
Registered
337 Posts
I was out there a month ago and signed the petition. A guy that lives across from the public parking looks for fisherman and runs out to get the to sign when the pull up. Hope the don't build there, it is nice to be able to park that close.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Nsearch, I apologise for stepping on your thread. I just get irritated with the local governments ignoring fishermen and beach goers. They are catering to the money people and vacationers and forgetting the people who really sign their paycheck. Again Sorry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts