Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
I don't think those fish are catch and release, they died to feed people, not like C&R where they die just for the fun of it:D

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
I don't think those fish are catch and release, they died to feed people, not like C&R where they die just for the fun of it:D
I agree. If I'm not going to eat it , it goes back in the water. I also do not fish the C&R season.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I actually practice C&R a lot, I usually only keep the fish that I don't think will survive, but theres no doubt a lot of fish die from C&R. I could only count 33 fish in that picture, and most likely those fish will be eaten by people that don't fish a lot. I bet I have killed more fish then that by myself from C&R in a single season. so it would by hypocritical for me to criticize them

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Pretty sure Cali was being sarcastic.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Seriously ... does anyone believe that people catch and kill fish that they intend to just throw away? I'm sure it does happen, but it's more the exception than the rule, don't you think?

The people who fish more than just occasionally are likely fishing because a) they love fishing, or b) love to eat fish, or c) both.

I guess C&R needs to be promoted more if we believe that there are too many people fishing who like to eat fish and are actually catching fish! Or perhaps a better alternative is a closed season or two ... maybe two weeks in the sprint and two more in the fall where you cannot keep any!? Or maybe a slot like we have for drum ... and there's always the possibility of a moratorium!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually practice C&R a lot, I usually only keep the fish that I don't think will survive, but theres no doubt a lot of fish die from C&R. I could only count 33 fish in that picture, and most likely those fish will be eaten by people that don't fish a lot. I bet I have killed more fish then that by myself from C&R in a single season. so it would by hypocritical for me to criticize them
During C&R in the spring, I see way, way too many people using small J-hooks.:confused: I only fish 3/0-6/0 circle hooks and I know 99% of my released Stripers will swim another day. Never had one yet swallow a circle hook. All corner lipped perfectly for a quick release.

PLEASE USE CIRCLE HOOKS ONLY DURING C&R. ;)

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Would break my hart if they would make them stop selling rockfish/striper in restaurants all over the USA. There are a lot of people out there that would love that. IMHO. I don't eat rockfish. Give me white perch, flounder, or the best tasting, a mess of large bluegill.

·
Registered
388 Posts
During C&R in the spring, I see way, way too many people using small J-hooks.:confused: I only fish 3/0-6/0 circle hooks and I know 99% of my released Stripers will swim another day. Never had one yet swallow a circle hook. All corner lipped perfectly for a quick release.

yeah I fish mainly with lures but I think circle hooks kill less fish then lures, this year had a lot of tiny Rockfish around so lots of them get foul hooked, I try not to target the little fish but a lot of people do

·
Registered
2,816 Posts

X2 very rare togut hook a fish with circle hooks

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Would break my hart if they would make them stop selling rockfish/striper in restaurants all over the USA. There are a lot of people out there that would love that. IMHO. I don't eat rockfish. Give me white perch, flounder, or the best tasting, a mess of large bluegill.
You can still eat them..farm raised are not bad eating. I think eating a fish you catch is a primal instinct. It can not be ignored. But if you do eat them choose the middle sized fish and not the breeders. It is all about recruitment. The 40 plus inch Convict Bass once served for dinner will never spawn again. Oh and white perch are the best..

The ocean run will show in the middle bay in the next two weeks. Some with sea lice have already been caught. We have a month of some really good fishing before water temps drop below 40 and they run out. Charter a light tackle trip and have a blast..

Capt Mike --- not doing light tackle for Convict Bass.

·
Registered
115 Posts
People need to realize that the bigger bass are breading fish.Plus to eat the big fish is not near as good tasting as the smaller ones.In coastal NY the limit is 28"-40" and one over 40".The 28" fish is tastier .We all know what its like to catch a trophy,but everyone also has a phone with a camera.Take a picture and release for the future.Catch & Release......

·
Registered
804 Posts
People need to realize that the bigger bass are breading fish.Plus to eat the big fish is not near as good tasting as the smaller ones.In coastal NY the limit is 28"-40" and one over 40".The 28" fish is tastier .We all know what its like to catch a trophy,but everyone also has a phone with a camera.Take a picture and release for the future.Catch & Release......
Sounds like you want them coated in panko!

I thought the C&R season REQUIRES circle hooks!

·
Registered
193 Posts
At one fish > 28", I'm guessing, if that is a current photo, that is the entire catch for the boat. 1 per day is hardly excessive. And since they were in the fish, glad is wasn't two a day.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
If your old enough you might remember when in a lot of restaurants served two fried 10-12" rockfish dinners. Be nice to eat them little ones again. They were very good. Maybe they should make us throw all rockfish back, and only let us keep a few 12 to 15"ers. Be like eating large white perch.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Oh yeah ,forgot to mention that if you go on a party boat you are allowed 2 fish over 28".So Joe blow spends $70-$100 and can keep two 30 or 40lb spawning bass,where as the surfcaster who spends ALOT more than that on equiptment has heavier regulations.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Only a few states still allow 2 fish per person let alone 2 over 28 for anyone. The catch n release season is actually a barbless hook to my knowledge. And yes the smaller ones do taste better.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The charter boats out of Montauk allow two per person,which is ridiculous,and alot of them dont use barbless or circle hooks.Many use jigs or whatever is needed for time of year just to put fish on the boat.All of the regulations should be same up and down the coast regardless of boat or surf fishing.There is no catch and release unless you do it yourself or you happen to catch outside the April 15-December 15 season or the fish is illegal size.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Anyone who fishes has an impact on the population. Harvesting your limit consistently just because you are legally within your right to do so is gluttonous and magnified when there are filets in the freezer that get tossed. If you selectively harvest for table fare, take what you will use, and C&R the remainder than you are likely alright in my book. I stay out of debates with the C&K and C&R zealots finding myself somewhere in the middle of the spectrum. Sustainable practices goes beyond just Circle hooks, I have seen too many trophy pictures with large females held vertical from a boga just to get a weight and then the prideful poster exclaim "sent her on her way with a powerful slap of the tail". Circle hook certainly reduced the risk of that fishes mortality but hanging her vertical far from mitigates the risk to internal organ damage. I also know a few anglers who are "undergunned" when C&R fishing (Ex.- light tackle and lengthy fights in warm water) but "overgunned" on "Meat for the freezer" Trips.

I know that picture has been going around for years and believe it became widely dispersed when it accompanied an article on the declining SB stocks published in the Surfcaster's Journal. I doubt the mate in the picture knew she would be the poster child for all that is wrong with head boats and their catching practices. Nevertheless, it represents only part of the systemic problem.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts