Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok.......

im gonna be at va beach from thur-sun. is there anywhere i can bring my fish to stay fresh. i mean a freezer or fish market or something. im planning on going all night thur and if i get something good i need somewhere i can keep it w/o spoiling. my ice chest will NOT work (trust me). anywhere come to mind???
it would be a shame to get some nice fish and not be able to keep them. please.... if you know somewhere let me know.i leave at 6am thur morn.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My Best Advice

hey medic, my best advice for you is to do this...if and when you do end up catching your fish, clean them and seal them in large ziplock bags (if you have a big fish, filet it into several small enough filets to fit into a big ziplock bag). After you do this, put ice in your cooler, followed by sprinkling salt all over it, then place the bags with your fish ontop of that, followed by another layer of ice covered by lots of salt. The salt will keep the temp in the cooler down to 27° F. Be sure to keep draning any water that amounts in the cooler, and be sure to keep adding ice and salt..if you continuely do this, your fish will be fine..trust me, ive been in your situation many times before and it has never failed. NOTE: Be sure your filets dont absorb any water - you may be better off using Hefty Onezip bags which wont have the slightest chance of letting in water. Good luck, and let me know whether or not you try it. - Teddy

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
If you ask where you are staying, they are normally more than happy to let you put a few bags of fillets in there freezer, but if you're camping..........................................

BluesFever is right on, I call it "Super Chill`in", I like using rock salt. Pick you up a cooler just for this, doesn't have to be that big, but not one you're dragging to the beach and opening all the time.

·
Registered
348 Posts
coolers

hey medic,

if you need to use a cooler as described i would go to whatever-mart and look for one of the fully insulated coolers. they are sometime marked "keeps ice five days" or "fully insulated lid" if you use one of those you will be good to go. for example i have a 56 qt fully insulated cooler that i take camping and i start with two 8 lb blocks of ice at the ends and one 20 lb bag. that is good without draining for 2 days, after that i drain each day and add a bag of ice as needed. the blocks work great for me.

as far as storing on site, call and ask where you are staying. i have never been to a campground or motel that turned me down on storing fish here in michigan, though on my honeymoon in san fransisco i caught 3 nice kings and had no place to stash the filets until our flight out the next morning so i buried them in the very back of the ice machine. covered them up real good back there. went to pack them in a small cooler in the morning and they were gone!! :eek: fish-napped as it were......i suspect the cleaning lady who was the only person insight when i put them in.

·
Registered
500 Posts
When I went to OBX for Easter I kept everything cold for 4 days with only one bag of ice and a couple of milk jugs frozen. Block ice is the key to keeping everything cold.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I second that

We have a 16 lb bag of ice that has lasted us since june and weve been going out 2-3 times a week since. According to Newton you want a whole piece of ice as opposed to broken up in order for it to last longer, looks like thermodynamics is useful after all. I dont see why 2 16lb bags wouldnt last for 3-4 days.

·
Registered
251 Posts
1motrick

Here is my secert for keeping fish fresh on long fishing trips. I use an insulated cooler, but the night before I steal some of the ol' ladies tupperware bowls out of the cabinet. I fill each one with water and place them in the deep freezer, before you leave take them out and place these ice cubes (or blocks I should say) in your cooler and cover them with salt, beleave me I've ended up giving these blocks away after fishing 12 hours, even with the open/shut --open/shut--open/shut of the cooler top.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks alot guys!!!:D i feel much better now. i didnt want to let a nice fish go cause i couldnt keep it fresh. thanks for the tips. see ya out there....... maybe. keep an eye out for me.:D

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Keep it at my house

welcome to keep it at my house, I'll even join ya after work and on the weekend.............send me a message if your inclined.:)

·
Registered
255 Posts
you could always use dry ice. they sell it at most grocery stores for about $1-2/lb. just wrap it up in paper towels or something, you dont wanna touch hat stuff.

nick l

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
YEAH THAT DRY ICE IS COOL WHEN YOU PUT IT IN WATER. IT FREEKS PEOPLE OUT WHEN YOU PUT IT IN A CUP AND WALK AROUND LIKE YOUR DRINKIN SOME WIERD DRINK.

BTW....... THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES GUYS....... I MEAN IT

1 - 11 of 11 Posts