Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i was wondering if anyone out there could recommend a combination for someone who's ready to graduate from the walmart special. i fish predominantly off the surf near rudee inlet for stripers, otherwise im chasing flounder and trout in the inlet. i was hoping there was a combination that could suit both of these situations. any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
????

How much weight will you need to be casting and how far?
For flounder and trout, how are you fishing? Lures, live bait, jigs?

There is probably not a single outfit that will handle both requirements.

For flounder and trout, I use a 7' light action spinning rod with an 8lb class Finnor spinning reel. I use 8lb Fireline with a fluro leader. It will cast 1/4 oz to about 1 1/4 oz lures and jigs.

The lightest I go in the surf is about an 8.5' St Croix rod that will handle 2 to 4oz and bait. I can reach out about 90 yds with that combination. It has an ABU 5500 CS reel on it.

You will generally need at least 2 to 4 oz in most surf in Va and NC, and lots of times, much more.

Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Fished the inlet last week...

Most people were using 8 or 9' rods for casting 1-2 oz weights with cut bait. I used a 9' spinner with 30 lb braid line for lure fishing and casting 1-3 oz.

A good 8' or 9' rod with spinner/conventional will work fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts