Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had been planning a trip to go to PINS with family which was myself, wife, daughter, cousin and her husband. Was worried about going because most of the reports was putting the water to the dune line. Ironman was down in Port A and had been giving me reports when he could. Thanks Ironman! Left Saturday morning from SA and first place to stop was breakaway store. Talked to Nick and he said we would be fine. After several more stops we finally hit the beach. I stopped and took a quick pic of the beach:

We headed to around the 17MM and decided to camp there for the night:

After putting everything up it was time to start fishing. My first cast out I get a 16" black drum. I think uh-oh, this is not good, first cast out and I catch a black drum! Well after catching plenty of whiting and some hard heads I finally get a pompano, it was only a 8" pomp but let it go hoping for the bigger ones out there. No luck though. It was starting to get dark and we decided to reel our lines in and then Bam, by cousin Brian gets a fish on. It turns out to be a rat red. We take a quick pic and send it on it's way:

Finally it's time to make dinner, we are all starving:

Next morning we get up early and start fishing, the girls took off walking down the beach to take pics of a boat from Hurricane Ike that had washed up:

Saw Nick and Brenda, Supermex and MikeR stopped by as well. Fishing was slow and only report we had was that Nick had caught a 28" Red south of us. We were still catching plenty of whiting and we were just kicked backed relaxing and enjoying everything. I decided to change rigs and all of a sudden I turn around and I see my cousin Brian start reeling in the HDX and I stop and look. I was trying to figure out if it was just weed or not. He is still reeling in kind of slow so I figure let me go out there and figure out what's going on. I asked Brian if he had something on and he said "Yeah, and it's big"! I check the drag and start talking to him to walk back a bit. Fish breaks the first sandbar and I see a BIG tail, I think Bull Red, Hell Yeah! He gets it in closer and it ends up being a 36" Black drum. It's his first big fish and first time out to fish PINS. Hell Yeah, he's pumped now:

We fished a bit more, but no more good bites after that. We finally call it a day and start packing up to head back home. It was still a great trip. You forget how much you actually miss the beach if it's been a while. We had a great time and Brian and Mandy can't wait to make another trip back down.

Carlos

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Cool report, thanks for sharing it with us.:beer:

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Nice, it looks like you guys were doing it right! That grill you have is the side firebox to a chargriller offset smoker. I've got one of those.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Great report. Congrats on the catch.

·
Registered
983 Posts
thanks for the report bro, i might actually be headed down this comming weekend hopefully the fish will make a good appearance :rolleyes:
ill let y'all know how things go if im able to make it down

Tight lines and God bless :fishing:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys I appreciate it! We had a great time. We are headed back down November 8th. If we can get into some fish I am plannin on getting the video camera out. Thanks again.

drawinout, that grill is the perfect little grill for the beach. Unless you have a stainless steel gas one. Whichever you prefer, as long as it cooks dinner no problem. LOL :beer:

Carlos

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Thanks guys I appreciate it! We had a great time. We are headed back down November 8th. If we can get into some fish I am plannin on getting the video camera out. Thanks again.

drawinout, that grill is the perfect little grill for the beach. Unless you have a stainless steel gas one. Whichever you prefer, as long as it cooks dinner no problem. LOL :beer:

Carlos
Yeah Carlos, I have one that I use as a side firebox, and I also use it when I don't feel like firing up the big part of the offset smoker/grill. I think it's great. The only problem is if you don't make sure you keep it covered, it will rust quick. Other than that, it's a great grill. I love those cast iron grates!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts