Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking for a pin(king) rigging reel to fit my 6' ocean master rod.. i am looking through some i like but i would like to hear what the people who have done it before say..if u could give me suggestions it would be nice. my price range would be around 100 bucks. right now i am mostly looking at the 4/0 penn senator. thanks

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
The 4/0 is an exellent choice, but might not have enough capacity to handle larger kings, cobia and sharks that you're likely to encounter. I'd say spend the extra and get the 6/0. If you do decide to go with the 4/0, look at spooling it with thinner-diameter braid or lighter mono.

I've got a 4/0 Highspeed with 30# Dacron and a 6/0 Highspeed with 40# Spectra, and I definitely prefer the 6/0 just for the added security on those long runs.

Evan

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok i am mainly focusing on next year because i am only 15 and am buying all my stuff and want to know and feel secure about all my takle and not get in anyones way and not know what im doing.. i have a couple of questions to ask you though.. what # line to u use on the reel?? also what time of year can the kings, cobias, and others be caught off a pier?

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
in the 100$ range, try and find a used, or maybe new on ebay, tld 15,20, or a tld25 . they are great for the $ and smooth long lasting drag.

hell, check outa the daiwa sha 50's even.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Maybe a shimano speedmaster might do you some good, greg has em for about 106$, personally ive never used one but they look like good reels, ive been looking into em for a while, im looking into a reel for medium sharks, some big snook in structure, cobes, cudas, anything big you can pick on a pier i guess! but maybe kingfisher is right, i dont know, someone of more experience will chime in sooner or later!

·
Registered
604 Posts
no need for such a big reel. a TLD 15 or equal size reel will do. for the money i would go with a Daiwa 50 sha. really good reel. just fill it with a 15 or 20lb. with a top shot of 40 or 50lb. and you ready to go.

·
Registered
506 Posts
To cast or not to cast, that is the question.

Yes, you want a reel to pin rig, but is that all you want to do with it?

For a dedicated pin rig on a budget a Penn 4/0 is hard to beat. The standard Senator can be had for about $90 new, the High Speed Special Senator for a bit more. Both can be found used at excellent prices.

The Special Senator has bigger drags and will better hadle big runs. The Standard Senator has a very low 2:1 gear ratio that lets you put a lot of torque on the fish, for more pulling power, but at the price of a very slow retrieve. Not a problem unless you have a lot of line out that you want to get back in a hurry.

The 4/0 Senators are about the limit of what is easily castable in case you want to throw bait at something. Spooled with 25-30 lb line they offer plenty of capacity for what you want to do.

If you want a more versatile setup the Daiwa Sealine-X and Penn GS reels are hard to beat. I have the Sealine-X 30 SHA, and the Penn 525 Mag, 535 GS and 555 GS, as well as both regular and Special 4/0's.

I just spent last week beating up big snook on the beach with the 525 and the Daiwa 30 with no problems at all. The only spooky time was a run from a bonito that stripped most of the line off the 525 cause I was doing something else when it hit and it had time to run. Other than that the reels had plenty of power and line capacity for the job.

The Penn 555 holds like 600 yds of 20# and the Daiwa 50HV has similar capacity. They are highly castable and versatile reels that will get the job done and are worth a long look.

If you don't want to cast the reel then get a 6/0 and be done with it. You will have plenty of line and fighting power in a dedicated pin rig reel.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Its been a while since ive seen you around cerberus, have you gotten the pp rod yet? didya like it? I dont know about you but for the price man, one hell of a rod!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Its been a while since ive seen you around cerberus, have you gotten the pp rod yet? didya like it? I dont know about you but for the price man, one hell of a rod!
I've been fishing. Just came back from 10 days vacation in Jensen Beach, and I don't have a computer up there. Spent most if the mornings and evenings fishing my beach.

8 big snook and one small one, 1 bonito, 3 bluefish, 2 tarpon hooked and two mystery breakoffs. Live bait (greenies) on the beach every day.

Freeline a live greenie or pin him to the bottom on a fishfinder and you couldn't help but catch an overslot snook.

Lots of fun and I can't wait to get back, probably in another week or two.

I didn't get the Power Plus yet. I realized I didn't have any all graphite conventional rods so I picked up an Ande Tournament 7' XH to try it out. Very nice, and stiff, not at all like my glass or composite rods.

While fishing the week before I broke up my 20 year old graphite Garcia spinning rod. The reel seat finally just came apart. If I don't fix it (it's a lucky rod) I'll replace it with a PP from Bass Pro, or maybe another Ande.

I will get a PP to go on my "new" 40 year old Special Senator. It should be just the ticket.

Good to hear you made out at Juno. You should try running up to Jensen some time. It is worth the extra drive from Jupiter.

·
Registered
633 Posts
ive been checking jensen out for a while now but im not too sure my dad will enjoy the ride, hes been quite the chofer lately! Yeah snook action has been hot up there.Glad to hear you had fun, whether you catch or not its always a blast!

·
Registered
506 Posts
ive been checking jensen out for a while now but im not too sure my dad will enjoy the ride, hes been quite the chofer lately! Yeah snook action has been hot up there.Glad to hear you had fun, whether you catch or not its always a blast!
It's hard to do Jensen on just a day trip. It's better to plan a weekend of fishing so you have time to really explore the place and all it has to offer. Beaches, bridges, the river, day and night; all have their own aspects.

Get a room at the Courtyard Marriott and drive up on a Friday night. It's cheap and you will be ideally located to fish any of the beaches from Stuart to Ft. Pierce, the various bridges, the Indian River and even the Ft. Pierce inlet, none of which are more than a 15-20 minute ride from the hotel. Or just fish the beach right in front of the hotel and be happy.

All just 2 hours from Miami...

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
My 6/0 has 480 yds of 40# Berkeley Big Game, and I've never been worried about it losing the line. I like the heavier mono around the pilings, and for kings you want about 300 yds as a minimum cap. The HLW series is a solution to the 113s capacity, but I personally don't like the balance on the wide-spool reel as much as I do the standard. Might be just me, but it feels weird.

As far as casting goes, I've never tried casting the 6/0 but the 4/0 will cast as long as you aren't using thin braid or a lighter action rod. Given, I don't have much experience with it. Never done much casting with the big reels, I generally leave that to the 525s. If I need to get a bait out with the 6/0, I just pull 40 yds off the reel and throw the bait myself.

Evan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.