Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put 19 crappies and about a half dozen perch on ice today. Not a terrific day, but decent enough to keep me out there in the cold. Much better than sitting at home. Headed back out tomorrow, hopefully with better results. Takes a 40 fish day to impress me, but I have fun even if I only catch a skunk.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was back at it today. Very few other guys out there due to the Eagles game. Managed about 10 perch and one crappie. Pretty bad day, but better than watching the birds lose! I was the only person that got anything so I won't complain. Thank god for my ice shelter, the high today was less than 25 degrees and it was very windy. The temp in my shelter was about 60 degrees, nice and comfy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Duke of Fluke,

Thanks for the report. You're fairing a heck of a lot better than my son & I. We fished the local powerline ponds on the last three weekend days and still haven't caught a fish. Had a something slip my worm three times, but it never kicked the flag on the tip-up due to frozen mechanisms.

Where are you fishing up there? I've been checking the PA DNR's webpage on Marburg Lake (So. of York) and they're allowing iceskating, but haven't made the jump to allowing icefishing yet.

I'm with you about the skunk, tough not to have fun out there,

Bob

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do not pay too much attention to the DNR site! Guys are fishing Marburg! I do not think they update often enough.

I fish struble lake most of the time, but also fish marsh creek, and ontelaunee. I also go up to Susquehanna and Wayne county and fish the lake up there. If you want to team up, I'd be happy to put you on some fish up here.

Went out last night with my step son. Two of the guys I see out there all the time were killing them. They must have caugh15-20 crappie each in an hour. It took me quite a while before I found fish. I only fish each hole for 5 minutes unless I get a bite. Moving a lot is very important. Once I found fish I caught 3 slabs in 5 minutes, and picked a few more until the sun went down. I brought a lantern and stayed out after dark, but the fish stopped biting. I am sure if we got there earlier I would have done much better. I still got quite a few for only being out two hours. I fish with tear drops and minnows or waxworms until I find an area with a steady bite, then I might put out tipups and fish for bigger fish while I continue to jig panfish.

My wife is frying some crappie and perch fillets right now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Duke,

Thanks for the quick reply & all of the great information. I found most of your lakes on the PA Fishing & Boating Map(got the hard copy), looks like you're livin' in ice heaven. Heading to Port Royal, VA & Salisbury, MD this weekend, but might hit Marbury next week if the ice holds. Maybe see you out there. Thanks again.

Bob

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Back out today and caught 36 keeper bluegills and crappies along with a few throwbacks and two perch which I also released. Not bad for only four hours of fishing! Lots of tasty fillets for sure. The catch was 60/40 bluegills/crappie.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings All!

Ice fishing -- brrrrr! But there are some good reports of MD ice fishing on the MD DNR page (the page will change Wednesday.) Nice pictures of jumbo yellow perch and a big walleye.... the reports are split between the opening page and the freshwater page (they even mentiom PA anglers traveling to MD for the fishing!) See:
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/fishingreport/index.html

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings All!

The following is he text of the report (for those who didn't catch it before the change):

Anglers have been ice fishing the coves of Deep Creek Lake and pulling out some beautiful yellow perch averaging 10 inches as well as chain pickerel, walleye, and sunfish. Mealworms, waxworms, minnows, and maggots have been good bait options. Martin Gary was at Deep Creek Lake earlier this month and chatted with some ice anglers. One fishing duo he spoke with was grandfather Sheldon and grandson Jordan Daugherty of Altoona, Pennsylvania. The Daugherty's list ice fishing as one of their favorite things to do together and Deep Creek Lake is one of their favorite destinations. They were fishing the middle of McHenry Cove, opposite the Wisp Resort and had fabulous success with yellow perch (pictured left) and one nice walleye on minnows fished beneath tip ups. They also mentioned they had the battle of their lives with a huge northern pike that they got to the hole in the ice but broke off as they tried to get it through. Another popular ice fishing location, Savage Reservoir, has not iced over and is wide open.

Deep Creek Lake Outfitters sells live bait and signed up to be an official Maryland Sport Fishing Tournament Citation Center. They should be able to begin issuing citations sometime next week. Deep Creek Lake State Park-Discovery Center will be having a Winter Fun Festival this Saturday, January 18, 2003 from noon to 4 p.m. This event will include an opportunity to learn the about the equipment and techniques used for ice fishing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts