Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my first year targeting sheepshead off of the local SC ocean piers. Most of my experience is from a boat fishing jetties or over nearshore artificial reefs. Nowhere local has many rods in stock so I'm looking for some advice on a rod.

I've been looking for a 7' fast taper medium or medium heavy spinning rod to go with a BG 2500. I could go with a 3500 or 4000 if 6" more of line per crank and 13 vs 17 lbs of max drag matters but I've already got a 2500 looking for a home. I know the 2500 is plenty for the nearshore reefs but I'm not sure about pulling a nice fish away from a piling you're standing above.

I mostly fish 1/2, 3/4, or 1 oz jigs with a small 2X hook or a dropshot style rig with the hook above the sinker, 1-2 oz. Fiddlers and I guess I'll learn how to use barnacles like the locals.

Also what water temp do they start showing up on the ocean piers?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ugly sticks are nice off of piers because you can flip big fish or really put the brakes on a fish running into the pilings without worrying about breaking it. 6'6" mh ugly stik with 4000 reel 20lb braid is a pretty solid sheep setup IMO. I'd go shimano on the reel for their superior drag rating because you'll need it to horse them away from the pilings

1 - 2 of 2 Posts