Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pier fishing with my daughter the other day using a 2 hook fish finder rig. We had bites, but could never hook up. Been fishing the same way for years but deciding to change up a little. People were catching, most seemed to be using a one hook rig with a barrel weight...couldn’t tell if it was Carolina style or fixed.....we were at Cherry Grove, really just to get out of the house. I recently switched to spinning gear from bait caster due to laziness after surf fishing...corrosion. Any one know what rig and what size and style hooks?? We usually fish for whatever bites....so fairly open....

·
Registered
77 Posts
Carolina rig. Id use a 2ft 15lb flourocarbon leader if the water is clear. #4 owner mutu light hooks are good for a lot of different baits. Hide the hook as well as u can in your bait. Wait until your rod bends over and reel em in. Dont set the hook. Anglers underestimate the intelligence of fish; especially fish that hang out under piers. Try some baits found naturally around the pier. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
At Cherry Grove recently they were probably flounder fishing with live bait on Carolina rigs under the pier for flounder, trout, red drum, and black drum.

If you're not catching the nibblers your hooks (or bait size) are probably too big. Try #4 or #2 at the most on a 2 hook bottom rig tied out of 20-30 fluorocarbon or clear mono.

If it wasn't so hot I'd come meet you and show you the ropes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts