Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an idea that I'd like your feedback on.

This year I started making my own custom wooden lures. Everyone who has seen them is quite suprised at how they turn out. I've been cutting out some limbs from Izzy that I plan to make into some Hurricane Izzy lures. Today I got to wondering if I made say 50 to 100 lures out damaged pier lumber as a registered lure series would they sell well as a fundraiser for the pier repairs.

Judging by what I've heard this idea would only work for Lynnhaven pier since it is the only privately-owned pier that has plans to rebuild, unless someone here has an in with Judy Boone and the city of Norfolk for a Harrison's series.

You won't hurt my feelings if you think this is a crazy idea so let me know what you think.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure whether I'd try to sell them or let the pier sell them. I'm mostly trying to see if this would an idea with enough interest to persue any further.

·
Registered
104 Posts
What pier do you have wood from? I may be interested in an heirloom to pass down to my kids along with some pictures of the devastation that IZZY left on 18 Sep that I have. I wish local civic leaders would come to the table and recognize what has been lost to the community. Those that were destroyed have been there since my father was a teen. It's still depressing to ride by Harrisons, Buckroe, and Grandview.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have any of the pier wood yet. I wouldn't do this unless the pier owners would sanction it. I wouldn't even need much to make alot of lures. I'm pretty sure I could get a piece of Harrison's at Willoughby Spit unless the city has cleared that chunk of deck. I would have to rely on Lynnhaven Pier to give me a piece.

My only intention is to maybe do a small thing by donating my skill to help the piers recover.

As for a design I could vary my pattern and type of lure. These are hand-made so none of them are exactly the same. What I had in mind is a suspending lure in the shape of a small spot. For the spots there would be hurricane symbols. Along the bottom would be the name of the pier and the date, and a serial number. I would make them so they could be used for fishing saltwater, but my hope would be that they would a collector's item and thus more valuable and more help to pier's rebuilding efforts.

·
Registered
634 Posts
theres still tons of harrisons on the beach between 9th and 10th in willoughby....i would wait too long though...the bulldozers and getting close

1 - 7 of 7 Posts