Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been fishing Lynnhaven Pier and have not been doing that well. A lot of small fish. Looking for a better pier to fish. I personally like piers because of the fact that you can kick back and drink a couple of cold ones without having to worry about the local police.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Give it a little time, right now I think all the piers around here are catching small stuff, as we slide into fall the fishing will get better and the fish will get bigger, me personally like Sandbridge pier, it is short but produces some good fish from time to time, don't give up it will get better.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The fall is the best time to fish

The best time to fish Va. Beach on shore for big fish is in the fall. The fish get fatter and they are more active. During the summer, I fish only during the night and usually I go out no more than a few trips per year except when I am on vacation. In the fall, I go just about every weekend fishing for large flounders and other big game.

You can catch big fish during the hot summer like cobia. But for the shore fisherman, it is more like hunting than fishing. I personally cannot stand the heat during the summer which would not have been a problem this year with so much overcast.

You really need to know the pattern for a particular spot for a particular species and the optimum time for each species for the spot that you are fishing. For example, cobia were hot in the lower chesapeake bay about a month ago, but they have since moved further north.

You could go to the marine resources commission web site and get the anglers guide. This will help you out. Try the link below. It is loaded with good information. Just check out the pictures of the big fish in the guide and you will notice most large fish were caught when it was much cooler.

http://www.mrc.state.va.us/vswft/angler_web.pdf

·
Registered
668 Posts
fishing is not what it should be at any of the piers this summer but it is due to the water temps which are way below normal for this time of yesr . when the winds turn to the east northeast for 3 or 4 days straight the water will warm and the fishing will improve. check some of the other boards here at P&S and you will see many discussions on the subject, nothing to do but wait.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts