Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i have been to jrb several times.( i live in carolina)i've been using shrimp & squid,not much luck on catching anything any ideds?, :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tw thanks. you are right near jrb aren't you ? what kind of luck do you think sat night will be ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
??? I read the question as what type of rod not what kind of bait. I would think about a 6' medium ugly stick (spinning)would be my choice.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Check out Wal-Mart for inexpensive
rod and reel combos. The Zebco Rhino
looks decent and already loaded with
line for $40.

I would recommend at least a medium-heavy
7' rod in case you get into something that needs leverage.

Personally I find the Ugly Stik too tip
flexible for fishing rigs and bait.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Best rod I've found is a Shakespere "ugly stick" (that's the name of it!)-about a 6 foot rod is a good size with a reel loaded with 15 to 20lb. test.(a good reel is a shimano spinning reel--most large shimano's will hold 15lb. test.)
As for bait, bloodworms, squid, minnows and any kind of cut bait-(cut spot is real good if the spot is fresh and bloody)
When flounders start bighting good, try using a regular bottom rig with 2/0 short shank hooks and put a long strip of squid on each hook and a minnow hooked in the tail. (sometimes I'll put squid and 2 minnows on bottom hook-caught most of my largest flounders doing this trick! One I caught last year went almost 5lbs and I caught him on two HUGE minnows and a large piece of squid)
If the crabs are'nt bad, let the minnows swim around---if there's lots of crabs though, you might have to hook the minnow thru the lips or eyes and troll them.
Another good tip---if your going to fish on piers, invest in a pier drop net-about 36 inches in diameter. You'll need this for those 5 lb type flounders!

Good luck!

Bye---Flounder101 in Va. Beach

·
Registered
48 Posts
Phil and Flounder hit it on the nose. I have a Rhino Rod and a Shamino Reel and love this comination for pier fishing. I love the kevlar tip on the rod, which makes it very easy to sense a hit. The best value I found for this was the Rhino Rod at Sports Authority $24.00 and the Shamino real at Walmart.

Just be carefull around any hard slamming peir gates, like the one at Lynnhaven....LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts