Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on doing some pier fishing and in the market for another rod and reel. I was wondering which uglystik combo would you use for pier fishing? Then what other brand do you like? Thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope someone can comment on that Uglystik Combo, I Have read some real good reviews of it. They don't mean much to me though. Hearing from people on a forum has more weight.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
7' MH Action has been good kayak fishing for me.:fishing:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Cdog, that may be true, but I think that would depend on whether you are trolling when it comes to lures. But pier fishing you are probably right. I think it is a ideal pole for what I want in a pole. I will not know until I pick it up and feel it and see it. I plan on doing some pier fishing and a small boat fishing. I mean small boat with 5 hp motor.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Cdog, that may be true, but I think that would depend on whether you are trolling when it comes to lures. But pier fishing you are probably right. I think it is a ideal pole for what I want in a pole. I will not know until I pick it up and feel it and see it. I plan on doing some pier fishing and a small boat fishing. I mean small boat with 5 hp motor.
When I was talking lure I meant throwing lures to fish where you are making a couple hundred cast. I have a ugly stick and do use it for bait fishing but found out early it is not what I wanted for casting lures.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
I'm with C-Dog. My lite lure rod (shimano) I broke the tip and I had a scheduled fishing trip (If anybody knows me, they will tell you when I'm going it is not healthy to get in the way). I could not find the tip at Wal-Mart. So I bought a Ugly Stick. It is much heavier than the Shimano it was replacing, not as sensitive and more importantly no backbone to set the hook. Also it cost 8 dollars more than the shimano.

I'll sell it if you want it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will know more tomarrow about which pole is what I want. I will check them out at Bass Pro Shop since I have a gift card there. Who knows what I will end up with. Could be a bamboo pole and a bobber. LOL

·
Registered
317 Posts
Ugly stick lite with a penn 450 or 550 ssg is what I will be using this spring . Walmart makes a inshore rod like the ugly lite its about the same price but with a blue color scheme ,MH rod 7ft spinner with a one of those 2 reels.

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
I'm with C-Dog. My lite lure rod (shimano) I broke the tip and I had a scheduled fishing trip (If anybody knows me, they will tell you when I'm going it is not healthy to get in the way). I could not find the tip at Wal-Mart. So I bought a Ugly Stick. It is much heavier than the Shimano it was replacing, not as sensitive and more importantly no backbone to set the hook. Also it cost 8 dollars more than the shimano.

I'll sell it if you want it.
I had a similar experience, digger. I keep some rods stored over at the coast, and my cousin brought what I call my "inlet rod" (popping cork/mirro-lure/etc. - in other words, lightweight non-bait chunker) home with him by mistake. I didn't know it until I got down there, and I went to WallyWorld and picked up a 6'6" MH Ugly Stick and it was tooooo flimsy for my liking.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Went to BPS and did not buy a combo. I did not buy a thing. I did see some nice reels though. I will go back later and check into them more. As for now I will put to use a South Bend reel I have. It is a old one but in good shape. I already have a pole that is plenty strong for the pier fishing. I also have 4 other poles that I could use but I will not at this time. I just want to try this South Bend 6500 out again. I used to use it for Salmon fishing.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a old South Bend 760A reel. It is a nice reel. I took it apart and it does not have any rust on it. I would say this reel is 30 years old. No plastic in it except for the part that sets the drag. I will be getting a pole for it. I used it for salmon fishing and it did well. I also took another reel apart that my son had bought in high school. It has many parts rusted but still workable. I oiled it up and got it going. I will take the South Bend any day over the other. From what I have seen on the Uglystiks reels they are not made for the bigger fish. I will look at them some more. I want to get a pole for this South Bend so I will look when I am there at the reels again.
Now the pole I have right now for it is way to heavy. It is a trolling pole.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That was my opinion when saw the catfish combo. I did not think it could stand up to the cats or any big fish. But again I probably won't find that many big fish. I probably will only find nice size croaker and maybe flounder.
Anyway it will be should be fun.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
how are you fishing and what for? spot and croaker, wing it out and set it down, then the ugly will work. I like a longer rod as distance does come into play at times. 8-9' that will handle up to 4oz. get 2 3lb croakers on at a time and you think its jaws.lol As you have most likely seen, this is not a 1 rod sport. (i'm a fishing HO).

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
rattler, I appreciate the comment as I do all of them, you are right fishing is not a one of a kind fishing pole. It depends on what you are fishing for. I plan on fishing a pier for what ever I can catch. yes , Striper will be there in the late fall. I know I will have to check the pier out and get the feel for it. That could take some time. I also want to try a few things that just for the fun of it. I do know that if I fish the James River Bridge pier I will want a long rod because that is what I used before. It is not necessary there but I like to fish on the end of it and throw out toward the channel.
Right now it will be a shorter rod and it will do double duty. Pier fishing and a small boat fishing. I have the Port-a-boat that you see in the back of magazines. It really is durable. I want to try it out for fishing. I won't know if it is good for it until I try it out. I have the 11 foot one with a 5 hp air cooled motor for it.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.