Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so I am not able to get the rod and reel I wanted because this corona virus and I’m trying to make sure I don’t use all my money just in case..

so I was thinking of getting a ugly stik big water 7’0 medium heavy. I have 30lb 300yd braid, I couldn’t get 40lb. (Shipping was too much or out of stock) i also have 80lb leader and my hooks. Now the question is will what I have work for snook pier fishing or no? If so what is a good reel that’s not like $200 or something.
Thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
Where will you be fishing? Beach, bridge, docks? A 4000/5000 series reel Should work just fine without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Hey so I am not able to get the rod and reel I wanted because this corona virus and I’m trying to make sure I don’t use all my money just in case..

so I was thinking of getting a ugly stik big water 7’0 medium heavy. I have 30lb 300yd braid, I couldn’t get 40lb. (Shipping was too much or out of stock) i also have 80lb leader and my hooks. Now the question is will what I have work for snook pier fishing or no? If so what is a good reel that’s not like $200 or something.
Thanks
A Penn Conflict 4000 or a Penn Clash 4000 will do just fine... 20lb braid will do all you need it to do.
Ive never been an Ugly Stik fan .. 80 leader is a bit much when 40 or 50 will do

·
Registered
95 Posts
It's based on the structure you are dealing with, that's what should determine your leader. Was down at the Rod and Reel pier in June and was using a 4000 Shimano Sedona and caught a few snook and a red. Was fishing directly under the pier, no issues. Leader was 30-40, 20lb power pro as the main line.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts