Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for recommendations on a rod / reel combination for pier fishing. I've got a 10' surf rod and reel and I was wondering what everyone uses for fishing piers and jetties? I'm looking for ideas on rod length, action, lure weight and a good reel to match.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings jcridge!

As always, it depends on what you want to target. I have a 7 ft Tiger Ugly Stick in medium action with a Shimano Baitrunner 6500 spooled with 17 lb test. This rig will handle everything from a doubleheader of croaker up through livelined stripers. I mostly fish bait, though (getting lazy in my old age),and don't usualy need to make huge casts, so maybe some of the guys who toss lures can help out. I do have a rig for casting, but its a bit unconventional. Its an 11 ft Barrington Carp rod with a 2.5 lb test curve, mounted with a Tica Sportera baitrunner spooled with 14 pound test. Casts metal a mile, does well with plugs and plastic, too. Its a bit limber, but lets you throw some good action into the lures....

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Hi jcridge,
You can ask 50 people what they like and you'll get 50 different answers. For most of the shore bound fishing around the bay a 9' med. action rod will do just fine. You'll want a good quality saltwater spinning reel with a line capacity of around 250 yds. using 15# - 17# test line. Expect to pay something in the neighborhood of $125.00 - $150.00 for such an outfit. I personally don't like the combo outfits that are sold for around $60.00. The quality just isn't there.

For a reel I really like the Shimano Baitrunner series. These reels show their worth when livelining. I use the #4500 model which holds 250/17. I also like the Penn Spinfisher series of reels. Quite a few of the charter captains use these reels because they're built to last and have an excellent drag. I use the #6500 which holds 250/15.

My preference in rod is the Penn Spinfisher 2pc. 9' med. action rated at 12# - 20#. These rods have a fairly strong backbone and a sensitive tip.

Like Jake said it's what you feel comfortable with but between his recommendations and what I use it's a darn good starting point. Buy the best you can afford. Just stay away from those bargin outfits.

Catman.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Personally, I think the reel is more important than the rod. Go for a quality reel that the guys have mentioned - Diawa, Shimano, or the Penns. Spend your hard earned money on the reel.

Remember - The rod holds the reel, the reel holds the line, and THE LINE HOLDS THE FISH. Go for good quality line too! ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I was actually looking at a Penn 2 Piece 8' Spinfisher Rod and the Penn Spinfisher 6500SS. I believe I'll go ahead and get them after everyones feedback.

Thanks Again!

·
Registered
69 Posts
How close do you have to get to the bay before you start finding stores or tackle shops with a good selection of surf rods? I'm 50 miles from the North Beach pier and my choices are Sports Authority and Galyans for something from 9 to 11 feet and they just don't have much to choose from. Spent some time in Florida and the fishing section in every reputable store looked like a 12 - 15 foot picket fence...Made the mistake of not picking one up... So where could I find one?

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
HR welcome to the forum. I buy very few rods and reels from tackle stores. Most of my purchases are done on-line from either from Bass Pro Shopsweb page or Cabela's web page. Their catalog prices are outstanding and they stand behind their sales 100%. Click on their web sites and look around. Have them send you a catalog.

Catman.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
HR,

Aren't they building another Bass Pro Shops store in Hampton? I would check out the products there. I usually shop online, find what I want, and pick it up at the BPS near my house. :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Sandcrab your right. the Hampton VA BPS is due open Fall 2003.

they also plan on opening a new Bass Pro in the D.C. area this year too (due open summer 2003). check out your new platinum Bass Pro catalog for more info. I'm not sure the exact location, but guess it will probably be Potomac Mills due to the Mills/BPS relationship.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are two places online I use for fishing equipment when I know exactly what I want. They are:

Tackle Direct

Digital Dagger

Digital Dagger usually has the best prices, but you have to call them (no online web orders) to place your order. They have both been reliable and prompt with their shipping.

·
Registered
33 Posts
jcridge,
if you want to fish bait from a pier you should spend the extra money for a "bait runner" type reel. Especially if you want to use circle hooks. If you still want a Penn, Penn makes the "liveliner". The biggest difference between it and the Shimanno is that the Penn does not automatically click off the second drag when you start to reel in. This can be frustrating when you pick up the rod to try to get line back and forget to turn it off.

·
Registered
69 Posts
What other rods are in the Ugly Stick price range but with a little more distance between the butt end and the reel. I like the feel Ugly Stick spinning rods but the handle runs a little short for me. I need a two foot clearance for a good comfortable cast..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey jcridge, Et al: Go to:
http://www.discountfishing.biz/

And pick you up an entry level heaver, and a secondary rod for your king rig. You can get the heaver rig at that website for $40, and if your smart, you can finish the setup for under $100. Then go to:
http://www.avalonpier.com/

Click on "fishing tips", then click on "What is a king rig". That site has the best illustration I've seen, If you can't get started after looking at that, be sure to wear a life jacket while on the pier ! Good Luck, you don't have to be a millionaire, or a genius to do this. Oh, have fun, too !

·
Registered
374 Posts
HR

Take a look at the Daiwa Sealine X surf rods. Comparably priced to the Ugly Stiks but a lot lighter and more sensitivity. 10' spinner has 2 foot length between the top of the reel seat and butt.

BPS doesn't carry them, but try Dick's Sporting Goods.

·
Registered
45 Posts
jcridge, The Digital Dagger link you provided has some great deals on the Okuma rod/reel combos as well. You could easily get a nice entry level heaver for $40, and the rest of the setup for under $100 total as well. Now all we need is for Spring to arrive !

·
Registered
69 Posts
hanks for the info.. Digital Dagger seems to be $5-$10 cheaper than most of the other dealers... I can't find a Daiwa Sealine X surf rods in any of my neighborhood stores to check out the feel of the handle and the tip.. What's the story if you send it back?

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
HR...If you're looking for a surf rod I have a 15' Offshore Angler Power Stick Model PS15S that handles line from 17-40lb and 1-6 oz lures. From the butt end to the center of the reel mount it's 28". I bought it at BPS last July and used it for a total of 2 hrs. 15' is too much rod for me, I'm going back to 12'. I paid $79.99 for it and will let it go for $40.00 if you're interested.

Catman.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Hi Jake,
Darn dog got me up to go out and take a squirt. God! It's only 2:36AM. Sorry but the $40.00 doesn't include shipping. If I remember correctly it's considered an oversize package since it's 5'4" in length and BPS charged around $20.00 to ship it.

Catman.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts