Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just wondering if somebody could give me a dimension outside wheel to wheel on a senior cart, I want to purchase one but want to make sure it will fit on my cargo carrier on my Jeep. Inside dimensions of the cargo carrier is 24 inches x 60, thank you in advance for any information you can give

·
Registered
705 Posts
where are you going to buy your cart ??
from a website ?? call them to get the exact size of the one you will buy.
Also, there are a half dozen companies making pier carts . . .
so when you say "senior" - that is no help at all. Different companies making
these carts have different sizes...... there is no specific size.

jus my Dos Centavos

·
Super Moderator
1,956 Posts
Hi all, just wondering if somebody could give me a dimension outside wheel to wheel on a senior cart, I want to purchase one but want to make sure it will fit on my cargo carrier on my Jeep. Inside dimensions of the cargo carrier is 24 inches x 60, thank you in advance for any information you can give
I will go on and tell you it won't fit. PROPERLY

(Contrary to prior OPINION, most all Juniors, and Senior carts are about the same size and dimensions. Regardless of the manufacturer)

I hauled a Junior cart on a cargo carrier for a couple of years. One wheel would fit inside the carrier and I had the other wheel over the top of the rail to the inside facing the vehicle. You will be ok on the length. Especially if you remove the handle during transport. I used cinch straps to hold it down. I was always checking my rear view mirror, checking on it. After your cart is on the cargo carrier there isn't much room for anything else. This was a pain in the butt...

I bought a cart hauler this past spring. I love it! It works on any size cart as well as universal between other cart manufacturers. Put the cart in the carrier then insert the locking bar and everything is secure. I still lash down my Yeti which sits inside the cart, it's more for piece of mind than anything else. I will let my shorter/smaller plugging rods etc. ride inside the cart in the rod holders

Lastly if you buy a cart hauler, always back into a parking spot. That way someone will not errantly run into it in a parking lot. I can thank a fishing friend for that one. He had his cart hauler damaged in a parking lot while he was fishing.

Hope this helps you

·
Registered
705 Posts
wheel specs: http://www.wheeleez.com/beach-wheels-polyurethane.php

So if you get a "SENIOR" model anything, more than likely it will have the large tires
that are 10" wide and 20" tall . . . that right there is way bigger than your carrier.....
Look at different models - with different size wheels - do your math - and see what works for you.

I have the large wheels and made my own PVC frame to fit in the back of my Jeep Cherokee.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I went through this dilemma a few months ago. I looked and looked for a hitch rack that would save me money and get the job done. I decided to bite the bullet and spend the extra money to get the cart caddy which as Big said is built specifically to haul a cart. The piece of mind is worth what I paid. It's also nice to be able to take the cart on and off without having to worry about strapping and restrapping all the time. One thing to note is that loaded down with coolers and gear it does ride on the low side so you have to be careful.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I have a anglers Jr with balloon wheels that fits in the back of a toyota corolla completely broken down. If that doesn't help they make a special rack for it that goes to a receiver hitch.

·
Registered
618 Posts
My reels on wheels senior is too big.

I just added a little bit to the carrier to hold the wheels. All aluminum baby............................

Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Auto part Car

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the Fishin' Mate Sr and use the cart caddy designed for a 2" receiver as well.

A lot of focus on will it work or won't it. In my experience if you have a problem there is usually a simple solution. In the case of the carts the wheels and axles remove very easily with a just the pull of a pin. Worse comes to worst you can strap just the frame down and store the tires in the Jeep.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all who helped out, it's appreciated. When I said the " senior cart" I was referring to the Reels On Wheels Cart, they make a Jr. and a Sr. My daughter lives in Garden City and I saw them at the pier for sale and lots of people were using them also. I didn't think to measure the cart when we were there. I do like the idea of the Cart Caddy and may look into that idea. Just wondered if using my existing hitch carrier would work. Also I didn't know they came apart so easily as At The Bar mentioned. I do like the aluminum rack of DANtheJDMan . Again, thanks for the helpful info

·
Registered
929 Posts
The big difference between the cargo carrier made for the pier carts Is that you can lock your cart to it if you decide you don't need it after packing to go fish or Just running into a store..plus peace of mind and are made to hold lots of weight.,plus a lot of those store bought cargo carriers are cheap China made pos that don't hold crap for weight and are bent after a few trips imo and usually sits low to the ground ....I'm sure for $180 you can get the one made for it and would be happier .....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ipnurwater, I just looked at the actual cart caddy and see how it hooks in to the cart.....looks like what I need. I'd rather spend the money and get the correct thing.

·
Super Moderator
1,956 Posts
That's right!!!
Do it right the first time... I use mine every week, so I'm getting my money's worth.
Remember what I said about backing into a parking spot.
Also buy a lock (for the draw bar) for it if you don't already have one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been searching the web trying to get the best price on the caddy, then I'm ordering it up ! I agree on the parking spot..... I don't need it banged up!!... And definately need to lock it up at times..... too much money to give it to someone that doesn't want to work for it !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts