Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i don't know if anyone has noticed some of the carts on the piers last year for hauling gear. sams club has a garden cart with air filled tires, metal construction, and now with plastic side rails. (i bought one last year but it had metal sides which made it a litle hevier). it carries all the gear i need on the pier and installed 8 rod holders made of PVC which are attached with plastic tie straps. just a litle helpful info !!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Bought one of these myself last year and it works great. Since I have limited hauling space in a pathfinder with a two kids and weeks worth of luggage, I welded two 3/4" square tubes the lenght of the cart to the bottom. To this I welded one of the small receiver hitches, the type that bolts to the bottom of a step bumper, in the center of the cart. Took some 2" square tubing and fabricated me an offset sleeve. I take the sleeve slide it in the receiver in the pathfinder insert pin, slide the cart on the sleeve insert another pin, attach two ratchet straps from the cart to the tire carrier for stability, and I'm ready to ride with extra storage area for my tackle box, cooler, etc.

True we may look a little like the Beverly Hillbillies on the road but for the convenience of the cart on the pier I don't care.

After I welded this up I painted the whole cart with the bedliner in the spray cans for extra protection against the salt and added 12 rod holders. :) ;)

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i bought a hitch hauler from u-haul several years ago. its just a platform that slides right in to my hitch and i just lift the cart right up on to it and strap it down. never have to load or unload that 75 lb tackle box or the cooler or any of my other gear. really works great. and i dont have a truck just a med sized car.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Got the Fish-n-Mate. Long Bay Point Bait and Tackle for a REALLY great price. Promised I wouldn't tell!

I tried the miniature fold-up fork truck. It was great for the pier and limited stuff (50 qt cooler and tackle box), but for the beach it was a "drag" even with the big tires I put on it. Saw Nsearch4Drum's cart and knew that was the trick.

Thanks guys and if you are in the market for one talk to Long Bay Point Bait & Tackle, maybe he'll give you a GREAT deal too!

:cool:

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Greetings Surf and Turf!

You'll be happy with the cart - I know I am with mine.

Lugging up to 8 rods, tackle box, cooler, chair, bait bucket, waders, rod tubes, etc. is a breeze over the sand or the pier. :)

I use a couple of straps to go over all my stuff to make sure I don't lose anything on the way.

G

·
Deck dimensions are good on the nursery cart. It'll hold coolers up to 150 quarts. It would be strong enought to support the weight of a ice filled cooler of that size too. Only thing that may be a problem is the cart weighs about 73 pounds unloaded. Add that to rods, cooler, 15 or more lbs of ice and possibly a cooler full of caught fish and it could be a problem hauling all that weight back to a vehicle after a long day in the sun fishing or after a long tiring night fishing. And that's pulling it off a concrete or wooden pier. Then there's the old "heave ho" to get it into your vehicle.

A sandy beach is different all together. Probably too much weight and it could be a struggle. It has ball bearing steel wheels. Nylon bearing would be better for using it in sand.

Good for using if the 73 lb empty weight is something one can easily handle. And it'll be perfect for those who aren't skilled enough to catch more than a few small fish. That'll surely keep the load lighter. :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
The Fishmate Sr can hold a lot of stuff but it does get bogged down on really soft sand. If I take 6 rods, 3 tube holders, a cooler with ice, bait cooler, chair, and waders, it is a bear to get it to the beach on soft sand...but once near the water you can pull it with one hand.

Has saved me from making two trips to the surf and pier fishing is a breeze. ;)

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.