Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was down there last night and saw the picture of the 75lber taken of the pier this year. Is the person who caught that on this board? if so when did you get it, and what where you using.

I know that the drum are coming there soon too, anyone got any tips they would like to share on getting them? Is it cut bait? crabs? Lures? I'm looking forward to getting my first one and could use the help.

I will be checking the search for any old posts, but if ya'll don't mind, I would be greatful for any info.

Todd

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I know for sure that they are a warmer water type of fish. So most of them get caught in the dead summer. I believe they are still there but in smaller numbers. A lot of people get them off of livelining spot and croaker.

·
Registered
888 Posts
FL
The big drum run on sandbridge doesnt usually start until mid september. Ne/e winds and greenish clear water is the key. Go to the end put a spot head or other cut bait on a big circle and heave it as far as you can, get over the bar and you might get lucky. Lots of folks will be in the mix, and the end will be stacked up with heavers. Loads of fun some years, hopefully this will be a good un...tight lines...........geo

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Yeah I hope to make a trip down there when they start running geo. I was referring to the cobia questions with my answers. ;)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info FL and geo.

I will be out there for that. The pier really isn't that big, do people catch them within 75 yds of the beach? that is as far as I can cast right now.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Some big bull reds are caught in the surf in Va Beach. You have to do your homework and look for the cuts, sloughs, and bars beforehand and be ready to fish. Last the 1st big drum I heard about was caught from the beach at Dam Neck by Tom Collins (real name) a few days before a bite developed at Little Island.

The big cobia at Little Island Pier was caught by Steve "Froggy" Smith - a regular at the pier.

Lou

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi heaver,

I have read books, magazines, newspapers...just about everything I can and I cannot seem to read the beaches here. When I lived in california, it seemed much easier to see rips and sloughs and such. Here, the only thing i see is lots of bowls, but i cant' bring a striper off of them to save my life.

I will keep learning, and if you, heaver, or any of you that read this go casting plugs or poppers on teh beaches around here; send me a pm and I will meet you out there.

Tight lines---todd

1 - 7 of 7 Posts